Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello most awesome of !Please-help-me-fix-my-box! forum members!!!

My setup is...
Windows Xp
AMD Athlon64 3000+
3 gigs DDR2 RAM
Nvidia GForce 6600
Asus SLI-Deluxe motherboard
Western digital hard drives
Sony DVD RW DRU-720A
Floppy- FDC generic....

I have this issue I've been working around...
This has been happening for a while, every time I open certain folders, (as you have no doubt read from the title, and on one issue it is 2 entire hard drives) my windows explorer crashes, I can still access these drives using a Linux boot and I can still access all files through programs, but if I try to move a file, (this differs-sometimes I can drag an drop and its ok, sometimes its not, EVERY time I cut and paste it happens... it will cause a crash in what ever folder I place it in within the same drive, (not in Linux).

I believe the can't delete folder-"Access Denied" issue is separate but related. This happens only when I cut and paste from one section of the drive to another of the same drive. In which case I am locked out from being able to open the file (says the folder is empty) and I cannot delete one or more files within.

I have run UBCD and done the memory tests with no errors, I'm clean for viruses an malware, I have avg's latest and spybot. I finished doing a HijackThis check before posting this thread and everything was clean. I hope this helps...

Thanks...
.B.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Re: Can't Delete Folders/When Opening Win explorer Crashes!

Hi Sidistyk, welcome to TSF..

do these folders contain .avi files by any chance?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The 2 hard drives that I am unable to access without a program, yes. The folders that read "Access Denied" no.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts

Ok, please try the following:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
- Click OK
- Now try to access the folders with the .avi files...but you may need to reboot

As for the 'Access Denied' folders, try taking ownership of the folder and then giving yourself full permissions to the data:
Take ownership:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Change permissions:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

Hope that helps :smile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I am set!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!! Thank you very much, do you know how long I have been trying to awnser these questions an you got me done in an afternoon!! I must tell you this is gonna fix a few friends box's...thanks again!!!
.B.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts

You're welcome..come back anytime you need any more help :smile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After thinkin about this for a while, I realized I still had a question- How did this happen and how can I prevent it in the future?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Well the problem with the folders with .avi files could be down to a missing or corrupt codec or some damaged .avi files which explorer is unable to preview. The regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll command just unregisters the explorer preview ability which enables you to delete/fix any files. If you need to reenable the preview, it'll probably be wise to uninstall any codec packs you have and install newer stable versions then run:
regsvr32 shmedia.dll

As for the Access Denied folders, there are some folders which Windows prevents you from viewing to protect the Operating System which could explain that...but it is also possible for third party programs to set/change ownership/permissions as well as yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the explanation, I always like to understand the what and why... but, I got a new problem that has occurred related to this incident, not your fault at all, (not that it could ever be, you're just offering suggestions) but something I did...check out the new post if you'd like to hear how!!! Haahahah-Do we all sabotage ourself like this? Sorry its just too funny, I fix a few problems and immediately create a new one!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.