Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have this boot problem with my computer. It all started when the power suddenly shut down while the computer was runing in windows XP.

The only thing I get when I press the power button is, the normal beep you get to inform you that everything is ok. Then I see the line which says "main cpu: ...." and normally it starts to count the memory. But the memory counting doesn't start anymore and the computer just stays on the same screen.

I hope someone has an answer for my problem.

Thanks in advance,
Greetz

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

A first step would be to clear the CMOS by either changing the jumper from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3, and then replacing it to pins 1 & 2 after a few minutes. Another method is to remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes and then replacing it. Be sure with either method to unplug from the wall and ground yourself before entering that case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi,

thanks for the reply, but that isn't the solution. I've already tried it that way, but it still won't boot.

I've also tried to take away the memory modules. But the computer won't boot also trying this.

Greetz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi,

trying to use only one ram module also doesn't fix the problem.

I took a screenshot just to show you the only thing that I get on my screen.

Is it possible that something burned because of the power failure?

greetz

Attachments

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
Yes, things such as brownouts are common and can cause problems with hardware and also your power supply. I have a feeling your RAM is buggered. But i'm sure someone else can help you more than me, i'm stumped at the moment.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Please list your computer specs. Your supply might have gone bad. Check the motherboard for any leaking or bulged capacitors.
See if your cpu fan is spinning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi,

the fan is still turning. and it seems that no capicitors are bulged.

Here are the specs:

Amd XP (I don't know the exact speed)
ASUS A7N8X rev2.0 motherboard
Apacer 512 MB pc2700 cl2.6
Samsung 2x 256 MB PC2700 cl2.6

Tumbleweed36: I can't enter into the bios settings

tia, greetz

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Tell us about your video card, like brand name and model number.

Also, take out the apacer memory and use just one stick of the Samsung and suggested and look in your manual to see where to put that one stick. Some boards require it in different slots for one stick than the simple slot 0 (or 1) or dimm 0 (or 1).

Tell me what happens when you hold down the Del key (and don't let up) upon bootup. What does it do and when does it react that way?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it still won't boot when using only one of the samsung memory modules.

When I hold down the delete key, nothing really changes. there is stille the beep and for the rest it hangs like before.

other specs:

graphic card: XFX GF 6200 256MB DDR2 TV DVI
ASUS TV/FM Card

·
Registered
121 Posts
hi,

Amd XP (I don't know the exact speed)

From the picture you attached, I'm guessing it's a AMD XP 1500+ :grin:

Appears to be a faulty BIOS, although I have no idea how that would come to pass. But perhaps it's 'common' with a PSU failure?

Could replacing the motherboard battery be an idea?

Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it isn't an 1500+, it runs at that speed because I resetted the BIOS.

the battery is renewed about 1 month ago, so I don't think that can be a problem.

but thanx for the input.

can it be that some replies are not shown? I got an message in my email, that Tumbleweed36 posted a new reply, but I can't see this message

tia, greetz

·
Registered
121 Posts
If I were in your shoes I'd go for the peeldown technique... remove anything not directly necessary (including harddisk, since you don't need that to get past the screen you get stuck on now).

No more than 1 memory stick, only mobo, CPU and gfx or something. See if that does anything. If it doesn't you know that the problem is somewhere there. If you have access to parts you can replace your current with to test each at a time that would be ideal.

I once had to replace my CPU after installing a new HD, no idea why but it somehow died, I guess due to statics, since I never came near it otherwise. Did an error search and narrowed it down to motherboard/CPU/memory. Started by buying new CPU since it could do with an upgrade anyway and hence wouldn't be a total waste of money in case it turned out not to be the problem. But it was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I can give that a try. I already searched for my spare PSU, in the hope that changing that would fix my problem.

greetz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi,

I think I found the problem. Is it possible that an external usb hub causes the boot failure?

Thanks for your support :4-clap:

greetz

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Yes, that is possible. To be quite honest, almost anything is possible at times with some of these rigs, or it seems that way when they come in my shop. Have a great day and happy computing. Oh, one last thing, don't be a stranger on here, hope to see you around. I will also mark this one as resolved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.