Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a compaq evo d500 given to me and need to get into the bios.I have tried everything i can think of from the Esc key to F1,F10,F12 Ect... but in all cases the computer just boots into win XP.can someone help me out
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope

:sigh: that didn't help,thought it would but it didn't.I do see a press F10 for setup right at bootup but that doesn't work.Could the bios be locked?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I held the F10 key down and it gave me a message to make sure the keyboard was pluged in or thete wasn't a key that was stuck.Down in the lower left of the screen was a blue box with F1:Boot and in the right at the bottom of the screen was F10 to enter setup and F12 for network services,at that point both F10 and F12 didn't do anything and F1 booted into windows

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi davel,

Some of those, you just have to keep trying...before post, right at post, after post....some times, just keep tapping the key. I have had a few (very few) through the years that made it very difficult to get into the BIOS setup menu. Even the hold down technique, try it at different places in the boot sequence...like a few seconds after it starts....before post....after post....just keep holding down once you start and it should go into there.

If that does not work (and I would certainly keep trying that first), then clear the CMOS by taking the battery out (be sure you unplug and ground yourself) for a few minutes, then replace it and give it a test run. You can also use the jumper method if you know how to do that. If you clear the CMOS, it should come back up in the BIOS setup menu.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do,i'll keep at it and see what happens,already tried to clear the CMOS theres a small button on my motherboard for that,but i'll try it all again,I could have missed something along the way.I'll let you know how things go.
and Thanks alot for the help
Dave

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi Dave,

Try taking the battery out and using the button while it is out. Some of those are so stubborn. Leave it out for about ten minutes, then put it back in. Good luck.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

An additional thought. Hey Dave, I was sitting here working on someone's computer a few minutes ago and another thought came by.

One day, i was trying to load an OS and everytime it told me to hit a specific F key to continue, it would not. I tried everything and retried it about ten times, but always got stuck on that one F key to continue. It would just sit there and do nothing. I thought the keyboard has to be fine, it is almost new. Well, out of desperation, I put the keyboard from my spare computer on and guess what.....the F key on the keyboard was gone and it had all that time kept me from loading.

About a month later, someone on the forum here was having the same problem and me, remembering my bad experience mentioned that to him. Guess what, same result, his F key had died.

Moral of story, try another keyboard if all else fails, that does happen (although rare) at times and the F10 key could have tanked. I mean, I just don't use the F key that tanked, but it still died on me that day with an almost new keyboard. What can you lose????

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GOT IT!!!!!! boy do i feel dumb,I did a reboot and held the F10 key down again and when it stopped on the screen where it said my keyboard may have a key that was stuck I looked down at my keyboard and noticed that my F-lock key was off I pressed the F-lock key then F10 and BINGO right in i went.All this time and it was right infront of me AAAHHH !! talk about operator error!!! LOL
Thanks again for all the help
look forward to talking to you again soon
Dave

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi Dave,

So glad you got it going. Yep, I have done a few (maybe a more than few) in the years that I have done tech work on computers. Have a great evening and remember, you said you would stay around, so look forward to seeing you on the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.