Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A8N-SLi Premium problem.

Hi there I hope u can shed some light on this problem. I have recently built a PC for a friend and I am having some problems with the setup.

He has this equipment:

WD Raptor 74Gb 10,000rpm (sata)
WD 60Gb (old ata)
A8N-SLi Premium
1Gb single DIMM
XFX 6600 256mb PCI-E

I have installed Windows XP Pro on the new disk and had the following issue that I have seen others have:

It installs properly and everything runs fine into tellietubbie land and everything. Except when you take the windows cd out of the drive and reboot and it says "System disk failure, insert bootdisk and press enter". Even though the boot priorities are set at either:

1: HDD
2: Disabled
3. Disabled
4. Disabled

==OR==
1. Removable
2. CD-ROM
3. HDD
4. Disabled

Even changing other settings in the BIOS, such as 'seek other boot device', this error still occurs (after the IRQ designation screen).

I have been told that using these drives in a RAID setup may help. I don't understand why this would help, but I have tried. I set the two drives in a stiped array. Then the Windows Setup will only ever find the ATA 60Gb drive and shows no other drives, even though I have installed the SATA RAID drivers from floppy on the F6 prompt.

Does anyone have any clues as I have spent lieterally hours on this and still can't figure it out.

Stuff i have tried:
updated the BIOS to the latest 1007
made simple system with just bare essentials (no old hdd, or dvd drive)

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I have that board except for the Deluxe version and basically the same setup and here is how I did it.

First of all, get the WD utility and prepare the drive by partitioning and formatting. I copied my Sata disk from that utility when I prepared the drive.

Next, unhook the IDE drive completely.

Set the boot order to:

CDRom
Floppy
Sata drive

Start the setup and hit the F6 when prompted for other drivers or SCSI drivers.

When it stops and asks for other drivers, then add the floppy drivers that you just copied from the WD utility. (some have this on the motherboard disk also)

Away you should go....when done, add the IDE drive back.

Notes: Make sure you have the Raid function turned off in the BIOS setup menu.

Also, make sure that you have the Sata plugged into the plain Sata port and NOT the Sata Raid ports.

Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YE GODS! Thanks for the reply mate! could u just clear something up for me:

"First of all, get the WD utility and prepare the drive by partitioning and formatting. I copied my Sata disk from that utility when I prepared the drive."

Could you just expand on that a little bit please mate. i.e:

WD utility from western digital website. then i use a dos boot disk and run the program from it? Then formatted the two drives or just the sata?

Then you copied the sata drivers from that WD disk instead of using the drivers off of the asus website? (the ones for the silicon 3114)

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

This problem has been resolved via direct communication and JohnnBadman has the Raptor up and running. Johnn, don't be a stranger on the forum. Stick around and lend a hand if you see something that you can help with. Enjoyed working with you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep I will do mate. Im not usually as dumbfounded as i was with this little bess of a conundrum. Ill have a quick read now of the problems. Places like these need good contributors like yourself. Thanks again. See u around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.