Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 SE to XP

I have an old system that I would like to put XP onto.
Problem is that its only got a P111 733mhz and 128 ram.

I have the original disc for XP to install.

Q1. Would XP run ok on this system? If so would SP2 and MS Office 2003 be too much or ok to run also?

Q2. If XP was a bit much, how would win 2000 pro sound? would it be the next choice for the majority of guys here who wanted something a bit more/diff than 98.

Q3. If it came down to just reformating with 98, where the heck would i get a disc anyway? or is there an easier way?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
One of the computers I have is very similar to this one and it runs XP pro without any trouble, it has a bit more ram 256. Don't expect it to be a fast machine. If you want 98se then ebay would be your best bet

·
1,438 Posts
Microsofts windows xp upgrade center

Is a good place to start.
Note their minimum requirements are a 300MHz processor and 128MB of RAM.
I have heard of folks who installed on significantly lower specs successfully ; but it should be noted that this would be quite slow.

In fact, I feel that you do not really get full performance until you have a minimum of 512MB of RAM and 1GHz Pentium or equivalent.

So can you do it? Yes. Will it be as fast as your current operating system? No, XP is more demanding and more complex and thus will be slower than Win98 on any given machine. Adding more RAM will make a very big difference if you move to XP, but it will still be frustratingly slow some times with an older processor.

While win2k is less demanding than WinXP , it is still more demanding than 98 and will likewise be slower.
It is however more secure once you get all the patches installed, and offers multiple user accounts which are real and seperate.

Personally, I generally recommend that folks stick with the OS their computer came with. Is this an OEM (like compaq) which has a hidden recovery partition (generally accessed by tapping F10 on boot up ) ? Why do you not have a windows cd? Is this how it came?
I would likewise suggest ebay or a swap meet or used PC store to buy a cheap copy of win 98 (say one from someone whose computer died and they just threw it out and bought a new one).

I normally recommend that if you feel you must have the new os, you get a new computer to go with it. This way you have one designed to run the os and do not have any problems with incompatible hardware (a common problem when "upgrading" an older machine to xp) which must be replaced at an additional expense. In fact; once you include the cost of a windows XP cd (if you do not have a win98 cd, you will want a full install version not an upgrade, since if you later have to wipe the drive and reinstall the upgrade will not work if you do not have at least the install cd from your previous qualifying os or buy a second hard drive so you have a dual boot and can retain your existing installation to allow you to later reinstall XP on its drive if needed), additional ram, replacement of non supported hardware etc; you often spend as much as you would have just buying a nice new fast computer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thansk for your reply. Since I posted I have went ahead and put XP on it - and it works great.

Hopefully it ll not get a lot of heavy memory usage and it ll be fine using whats in it memory wise.

Many thanks for your replies guys!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
fooddestroyer,
Glad to hear that you've got your new OS working. If it's in the budget, I would encourage you to add more memory. Read somewhere that "XP will run OK on 256 but is much happier with 512"

I've got a PIII 500 512MB ram XP Home and it's much fatser than my old 98. Don't know why folks say that XP is slower than 98 on an old comp? The first thing I noticed was the blazing boot-times. My best time to internet was 55 seconds from a cold start. My 98 was 3x that!

Anyway, something you might want to try is "optomizing" XP....turning off all the bells and whistles that aren't needed. Go to "XP Tips and Tricks" here in the fotum for more info. Suggest you create a log book of what you change and the original (default) setting. Do a few at a time and check for functionality. The speed gains can be quite noticeable and the tweaks don't change the "look and feel" of XP.

Keep an eye on your Running Processes and the items in your Startup Folder
Choose a Security setup that is light (easy) on system resources

Regards,
JF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.