Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again - I have a Athlon64FX with a Zalman 9500LED heatsink - but I used the stock thermal grease supplied with the heatsink.

I have a Cooler master praetorian 732 case with 120mm front intake, 2x80back exhaust (<stock setup) and a 80mm top exhaust and a PCI slot exhaust by the VGA.

I have been getting processor temps of 42-44C with this at idle - does this sound OK? I thought it would go into the 30's.

I had thought about resiting the heatsink with Arctic silver 5 but understand that once you have applied grease its impossible to remove all traces of it so it may not improve things?

Has anyone managed to reduce their temp by doing this (and is there any point in my case - I'm not sure what temp is optimum although I believe 65 is the upper limit)?

Lee

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I saw that site and thats where I saw about the second application of grease.

Its just when I did it first I found it fiddly and I reckon I could do a better job second time.

Although I read about someone on the Zalman forum who thinks hes crushed his CPU core by screwing the Heatsink on too tight!

Perhaps I should just leave well alone!

Lee

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you clean up the heatsink and CPU well enough, then using arctic silver 5 as instructed on the webpage, you should be able to lower your temp a little bit, just have to be careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.