Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how to put info from my computer to a diskette

Having problems getting the system to allow me to make a hardcopy, what am I doing incorrect.

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Can you please give a little more detail on what you are trying to accomplish. We would love to help you but it is hard to troubleshoot the problem with out knowing exactly what is happening.

three easy steps we may need answereds

1. What are you trying to accomplish.

2. What have you done so far.

3. What operating system are you running

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
ok...what are you doing...period...

1. Insert a known good floppy into the floppy drive -does it fit ? or is there resistance

2. Open -my computer (the icon) do you see a A: drive...can you click on it....with the floppy in the drive in does it open a new window....if no floppy you should get an error saying A drive is unaccessible...or something like that!!

3. Can you format (erase) what is on the disk...this way you can start clean...

try these and see where you are....it is usally the floppy(59 cents), then the drive ($14) then the cable ($7) the the on board controller (start asking yourself if it is easier to replace motherboard or get new system) that go bad...but it is not unheard of....

Post back and well go from there....;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your response time was great, but relax , the worlds not going to end today.

My company files need to be put on a diskette due to the fact my computer is going in for surgery, I dont want to lose any important info, job accts ect. Im sure you get the picture, the thing is I have no clue on how to do this. I always had someone else doing it for me. So be gentle with your answer and reply with a kind smile.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If you ask a question chances people are going to answer...and quick...wether it is a simple or nuclear mealt down...expect it...this is a great board full of helpful, funny (even if they are the only ones who think so:bandit:)

Ok...now that that is out of the way.....
:angel:

what do you do ...what happens...and what doesnt happen...putting data on a floppy is that easy....there is no hidden geek rules to doing it..what is it going in for...if it is not hard drive related ...a reliable and decent shop SHOULDNT (99% precent of the cases) lose your data:smooch: :compute: :angel2: :thmbup:

did I use enough smileys:D

S

·
0 Posts
Your response time was great, but relax , the worlds not going to end today
I love it..................:D

We are better than the cops................LOL

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
and whats wrong with the COPS???:angry2:

:winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
They have nothing better to do then pull me over for only doing 17 over. That is what I have against cops.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
What Jeffery Dhamer didnt speed??

they caught the Son of Sam through....a parking ticket he recived while killing some poor sole...

and they have to do something while the 7-11 are being cleaned

:smooch:

p.s. Shanna are we any closer to helping you???:bandit:

S

·
0 Posts
and whats wrong with the COPS
If someone kicks down your front door at 3am what would you do if you had one of the next three choices?

1. Call the cops

2. Gather up your family and hide somewhere

3. Grab your handgun from your locked gunsafe that has a handprint recognition device for opening it ( this for those who believe in upholding the law while storing their handgun ) and prepare to defend yourself and your loved ones.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reply on answers on 8/13/02

Thank you Doonz, you were really helpful. I loved the the smiley faces as a matter of fact. That is one of the great things so far the is still free. Okay not to be a idiot, so all of your others be nice, Im postive you were'nt born with a computer attached to you embilical cord, I have no idea even where to start. Step by step instructions is about the only way I will understand what your telling me, not that I dont understand english, but I only like to do things one time and be done. So if you wouldnt mind, help me out. Thanks:winking: :tongue2:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Always ready to help out....

So you have the floppy (boys calm down) in your hand....no I dont know you well enough to go there...sorry

Ok lets try this again....

:angel:

This isnt dumbed down to be sarcatic....it is dumbed down as far as I can get it as per users request:bandit:...you request is how to move items to the floppy...?? Right :confused:

you have the floppy disk..(much better) in you hand the shinny( in most cases) end pointing towards the sytem, printed/lable/ where a lable would go facing the celing...round shiny center down...you place it level with the floopy drive openning...the one with the opening a little bigger then the the disk...you insert said disk into said slot....meeting mimimum resistence(if it is a fight...chance are a piece of the disk broke off inside and you need patiance and tweezers to get it out)....you shouldnt have to fight it to get it in...:)sleep: if I am being to simple tell me)...ok now we look at our computer monitor... we see something/Icon called "my computer" we move our mouse over the icon and click once to select it and twice to open it...a new window opens...we see A:, C: Control Panel and mabey some other icons...we only care about A: and C:...now we left mouse click on the A: drive once to select it and a second time to open it....Are there any file (see any icons in the new window) do you want thoes or not ? (if not or how to format see bellow...way below...Ill throw these ** in to help) At this point we will open (using the left click once to select and a second left click to open method -now to be refered as the LC1 to LC2 to open method)the C drive: and using the LC1LC2 method we are going to locate the files we want to save....once located we move the mouse pointer over the item(icon) and LC1 to selcet but this time we are going to RIGHT click (using the right most button) the item and a little grey and black menu should open...on that menu there will be an option called Send to...with an arrow next to it...we move the mouse pointer to the send to....and then when the next menu come out we are going to left click...A:....continue doing this till

A. All files are moved

-if this happens...congrats store the disk(s) in a safe secure dry place

B. the disk is full
- if thse happens repeat the above steps until result a happens....

OK thats how to put data on a floppy....

here a little helper...if you have multipe file to select

Holding the shift key while selceting the file and the selecting another file -will select ALL the files in between

Holding the Control/CTRL butoon will select the selcted file and only every file you select...ONLY

** to format -erase...wipe out and lose everthing...Nuke (you getthe point) follow the setps above but after you LC1...your going to RC1 to get that menu we spoke about....then looking at the menu you are going to select/LC1- FORMAT...and when the window opens select/LC1 to put a check in quick format and click start...

1 0f threethings happen -if the disk is in...

1 the format begins ...takes a couple of seconds and finish up ...great use the disk

2. It say the disk is not formatted...through the disk out it is damaged -use a new one and hopefully get the above results

3. The drive continues to be un-accessible...you should get this error when selecting the A: drive but it might happen here...if a new disk does the same thing...then since your bringing it in anyway...get them to look at it...

Sorry if this was too dumbed down...wasnt 100% sure what you are looking for....like I said before....it really is easy...

G/L and post back ..hope this helps... now for some more faces

:angel1: :book: :thmbup: :burger: :wakeup: :angel3: :nopity: :poke1:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Now on the the intruder comment...I would..Shoot him till he is dead then shoot him once more to be sure...if he runs...I would drag his *** back in the house and shot him for runnning...then call the COPS

In NC the local sherrif told my buddy who moved there...dont make any problems for me and handel you own problem and youll fit in just fine....your property-- your problems...and coming to clean up the bodies of problems is not a problem..

What does that have to do with Police officers...If they have a warrent (dont blame me on the fu__ed leagle system) they are coming in a 3 in the morning....but they get paid to be on you before your safe is close to being opened...they are humans too and they want to go home to enjoy the same life and plesures that everyone else enjoys...

The regular patrol officer is a decent guy...chances are he is writing you a ticket because you drew attention to yourself...admittabley 17 mile over the limit is not the crime of the centery but chances are there was no one else going 18 or faster at the same time...

You dont see his boss who is on his *** to produce "paper" so his boss can look good to his bosses....the CONCERNED citizen who is concerned for everyone else and calls "HQ" every five minutes...the politican who is try to ride the current cause into office...

If you are TRUTHFUL (heres a free hint -if the officer is asking you a question..chances are he knows the answer or has a good idea what it is and is probing to see if you will fess or own up to it)...and respectful (no you dont have to be -but the officer doesnt have to write you the ticket either...quotas dont exsist) stay in your car...keep you hands where he /she can see them and understand they are just doing thier job....it might just keep you from getting a ticket... It might feel a little corny but 5 minutes of this might save you alot of hardache down the road...tickets, fine$, insurance, court

Sadly enough there are (seems like alot) some people who get into law enforcement for the power trip and as much as the above information will help- wont work all the time....

Ok getting off my donught box now!!... :winkgrin:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
reply to answer

Thanks your great, that is the info I needed, you did a great job.
Dont worry you didnt make me feel like a idoit, it was really helpful and I didnt fall asleep either. If for some reason I screw it up I know who to contact.

I must say yall topic from yesterday (cops), seemed to get a lot of feathers ruffled. Well here's my thought for what its worth, some one comes in my home , is a threat to me or mine, their history, I keep a 9mil in my night stand and I m not afraid to do what it takes.
Cops are not all bad, I have friends in the profession and they will tell you that its not always great to have a badge, your expected to become a superhero. instant a**, or bad cop, good cop. They do their job just like you and me, they go home to their families and hope that they get to spend one peiceful night with out being called out for one reason or another. I m in no way saying that all cops are like that, I been put in a postion where , I have wanted to tell them off because I had the choice of putting up with leering or take the ticket. Took the ticket.

:winkgrin:

S

·
0 Posts
I have nothing against cops either!

What I meant by my statement in the earlier post was that if you wait for them to get to your house, You'll be in deep doo doo by the time they get there.................:D

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Oh no speed..dont wait...if it is safe and the person is in your house...Do the work for them...and the courts as well...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reply to Speedo Statement

Speedo, Im sorry if you thought I was in anyway bashing you on the cop subject, not in the least. I understand how you feel about the subject, my thing was that not cops are a**holes, but there are the chosen few who would probably not be in any hurry to get to your home. But I think that regardless of how any of us feel , some things are going to remain as they are. So my motto has always been take care of the things you can, and ask for help only if you have to. Well hope your not to upset with me, since Im still new here, and I dont mean to step on any toes just yet.:D

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Der Robe said:
They have nothing better to do then pull me over for only doing 17 over. That is what I have against cops.
Yeah, but you shouldn't have been speeding. I do admit, I have run into some cops that where complete fnords but I don't hold that against them. Have the time they most likely deal with people screaming at them, and a lot of them are away from their families on holidays. I guess I'm lucky though. I've been pulled over about 4 or 5 times, and only gotten two tickets. One was because he said I didn't come to a complete and full stop, the other was speeding. While I don't think I deserved the first one, and wonder how he saw me from the position he was in, the second one i can't complain about. I often enjoy the company of police offers, most of the time they are funny. But it could be because I have family that is either fire fighters/paramedic/cops or have neighbors that are. Also on really bad days when I want to through the computer out the window and drive over it several times, the idea of going to school for police officer is tempting. Come on, you have got to admit that working in the computer crimes section would be fun. Either that or K9.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright Already

I think that all bases have been covered on the subject, so if any one else has anything other than cops to talk about, I m about ready for another heated subject about something else.
I think you shouldnt beat a dead horse.:D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.