Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Very recently my laptop harddisk crashed. It was not booting Ubuntu anymore though I reinstalled it successfully several times but running into same problem each time. Anyway
after some investigations I found out there are a lot of bad blocks (up to an order of several millions) in it. So its better to replace it with a new one. Now I found that my laptop HDD is Toshiba MQ04ABF100 (1 TB). I want to replace it with some HDD from either WD or Seagate. Personally I do not like Toshiba. Like this HDD crashed within 2 years. an you
please tell me if it is possible to find a WD or Seagate HDD which will be similar to this, so that it can fit into my laptop? More details are given below:
Laptop Model: Acer Aspire A515-52G-50WK
HDD:
Model: Toshiba MQ04ABF100
Capacity: 1 TB
Interface: SATA 6 Gb/s
Buffer Size: 128 MB
Connector Type: 7 pin SATA
Spindle Speed: 5400 rpm
Item Dimensions: 6.3 x 4.33 x 0.79 inches

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
30,433 Posts
2.5" is the criteria.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for some misinformation earlier. The dimension mentioned above is wrong.
The correct dimension is :
about 10 x 7 x 0.7 cm

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
30,433 Posts
You're missing the point. Read Posts 2 & 6.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're missing the point. Read Posts 2 & 6.
No, I have read it and understand the point that any 2.5'' should be it. I am really thankful to you guys for making this point. This should be it. But I am just a bit concerned with the fact that how I am going to fit a disk with different dimension into that compact space on my laptop board.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello All,
Very recently my laptop harddisk crashed. It was not booting Ubuntu anymore though I reinstalled it successfully several times but running into same problem each time. Anyway
after some investigations I found out there are a lot of bad blocks (up to an order of several millions) in it. So its better to replace it with a new one. Now I found that my laptop HDD is Toshiba MQ04ABF100 (1 TB). I want to replace it with some HDD from either WD or Seagate. Personally I do not like Toshiba. Like this HDD crashed within 2 years. an you
please tell me if it is possible to find a WD or Seagate HDD which will be similar to this, so that it can fit into my laptop? More details are given below:
HDD:
As others have said: DEFINITELY replace your HDD with SSD Samsung.....I did in my wife's laptop and she was very happy. In my desktop I run two Samsung SSD.....one is connected as C: ..... the other is b/u if I mess up C: !!! An add: HIGHLY CONSIDER using a good sized USB flash drive as your My Documents.....as you have learned hard drives to die!!!! And those priceless grandkid pics will be gone!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello All,
HDD:
replace it with a solid state drive Much faster. and it will fir in the same space.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,789 Posts
Yes they are much faster and last longer but lets not forget one thing here. Hard drives slow down and that's what tells you they need replacement. Ssd drives just drop dead with no warning so even though they last longer and run better, yiou need to pay attention to their age and replace reasonably!

·
Registered
11 Posts
HDDs for Laptops come in two flavors. 9mm thickness and newer “thin” laptops will have 7mm thick ones. Not sure about the SSD drive replacements as to whether they come in both dimensions or not.

HDDs fail in different ways. Most drives over the last several years contain S.M.A.R.T. firmware that monitors for errors on the drive itself. If the drive has a problem reading or writing a sector, the device will try several times and if it finally can read the data for that sector it will mark that sector bad and move the data to another “spare” sector. IF, after several tries it can’t read the content, it will mark the sector bad but, since it doesn’t know what was in the sector, it can’t move it anywhere. It will keep that record in the SMART data on the drive and log it as a “current pending sector count.” I find that such failures may be several consecutive sectors. Usually I find the area where it fails is in the kernel or OS part of the HDD since that area is more often accessed. Sometimes I can connect the failing drive over to another computer and save the important things like documents and pictures.

But there are ways an HDD will fail where data recovery is not possible. If the motor that spins the platter(s) fails, if the heads crash onto the surface for some reason, or if the electronics fail, all bets are off in recovering anything.

And this can happen the day after you install the drive or even ten years later. During the warranty time, the manufacturer will replace it with a new one, but all your data is gone. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!

Regarding SSDs I’d suggest reading this article about how they can fail.
5 Warning Signs Your SSD Is About to Break Down and Fail

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,562 Posts
An add: HIGHLY CONSIDER using a good sized USB flash drive as your My Documents
A USB flash drive is not a reliable medium for storage. I would only use them for transfers/ISO's for installation of O/S's.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,789 Posts
Totally agree with Deejay here, flash drives could be the most instable possible hardware available and really is not suitable for file storage long run.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts