Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was on my computer a few months back, it suddenly shut down, and it was really weird because the lights of everything just slowly shut off rather than everything shutting off quickly such as when computers crash. I immediately tried turning it on again, but nothing happened. I took the side panel off my computer, unplugged some different cords, and tried to figure out what was making it not turn on. I then figured out it was because of my video card, when I'd leave everything plugged into the Motherboard except for the video card, this loud ringing noise would take place signaling that something wasn't plugged in. Then when I'd plug my video card back in, the ringing noise would stop, but the computer wouldn't start-up. So I ended up replacing my video card with this terrible one that I currently have, an ATI 128 Rage, it's so terrible, but luckily I didn't have to pay a cent for it as it was just a back-up video card I had lying around.

So I'm wondering if there's any chance that replacing the fan on my old video card would make it work again, since I noticed that the fan didn't spin when I plugged the video card back into my computer, so I think the problem is most likely the fan. I would just go out and buy a new video card, but money is kind of tight right now, so I'm hoping I can just get this one fixed to save myself the $60. My old video card is a Nvidia Geforce 6800 128mb 256bit (AGP) by the way, which was produced by a company called XFX, so the cooling fan is most likely from that company.

Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Most likely replacing the fan won't fix it. The fan probably stopped working a while ago and the card probably overheated and fried. Typically video cards will still function if the fan fails or is removed , but not for long. If the card doesn't show any video with the broken fan a working one probably won't fix it.

It's would be best to simply buy a new card , you can find old geforce 6 and 7 series cards on ebay for cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.