Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering. I have a computer that is 4yrs old and I want to replace my cd-rom to a cd-rw. are there any requirements I should worry about? can I just swap one for the other?

·
Registered
139 Posts
calberts73 said:
I was just wondering. I have a computer that is 4yrs old and I want to replace my cd-rom to a cd-rw. are there any requirements I should worry about? can I just swap one for the other?
Pretty much.

If your burner is a common or popular brand, and you run at least Windows 98, you should already have a generic driver that will allow you to use the burner just as you did the old CD ROM. Just make sure that you have it set to "master" if it will be the only drive on that particular bus (cable). Sometimes it is best to load up the drivers on the CD ROM that comes with the drive.

Sometimes, there may be more steps you need to take, but basically, all you do is swap out the old one with the new and Windows should recognize it on reboot.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I just yank the CD out and stiff the CD-RW in, making sure the jumpering is identical. It's never failed yet. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.