Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed I had these issues even on some of the oldest games like lego batman the video game. Before this I was playing batman arkham asylum and had a similar issue where it seems I get a momentary stutter whenever I had to replay a game from a checkpoint.

I've already had these stuttering issues in the past with my old HDD, so that's why I thought the new WD_Black SN750 500GB NVMe would get rid of it.

I have the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53, all my drivers are up to date as well as my motherboard.

I don't have any temperature or hardware issues. The new NVME SSD was installed properly and screwed flat down.

I've done many tests on all my hardware including CPU, GPU, and RAM everything works perfectly fine.

Is it normal to get these stutters when entering new areas? Fiddling with settings in-game makes no difference. Will these things happen no matter what with certain games or are there some NVMe settings to fix this?

·
Global Moderator
42,339 Posts
Try a Clean Boot. If that works, you can leave it this way. Or you can add one Startup Item or Service until the computer starts stuttering. then you will know the culprit.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,917 Posts
If it is not a software problem, that only leaves hardware.

In order to see what all your setup contains, download, install and run Speccy. Click File > Publish Snapshot > Yes > Copy to Clipboard and then paste in the URL you just copied into a Reply to this thread.

·
8,917 Posts
I'm afraid you're never going to get instantaneous responses with that hardware running all of that software.

Give it a try after doing a Clean Boot (like spunk.funk mentioned above) and see if you notice an acceptable improvement. If not, my next step would be to remove that single 8GB stick of RAM and replace it with a 16GB Kit of decent RAM. But even then, with that i5 8300H running at 2.30GHz response times will never be within a millisecond.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm afraid you're never going to get instantaneous responses with that hardware running all of that software.

Give it a try after doing a Clean Boot (like spunk.funk mentioned above) and see if you notice an acceptable improvement. If not, my next step would be to remove that single 8GB stick of RAM and replace it with a 16GB Kit of decent RAM. But even then, with that i5 8300H running at 2.30GHz response times will never be within a millisecond.
I was afraid getting a 8GB boost was what I needed haha I'll get one sometime in the future and see if it fixes all my issues.

Additionally according to the NVMe SSD it says unknown, am I missing any drivers or is this just a common error with speccy? The SSD works completely fine and is quite speedy though.

·
8,917 Posts
If it's working perfectly fine, it's probably best to leave it alone.

It is not unheard of for programs such as Speccy to make a mistake once in a while. In the PC world there are way too many variables to be able to test every possible combination of hardware and software.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,776 Posts
While hard drives are probably major cause of freezes # 2 would be ram and unless all ram is from the same batch, that is where I would start looking. I am also cuirious did you clone Windows or do a clean install with new Ssd drive?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While hard drives are probably major cause of freezes # 2 would be ram and unless all ram is from the same batch, that is where I would start looking. I am also cuirious did you clone Windows or do a clean install with new Ssd drive?
Clean install, nothing from the old drive. I've done RAM tests with USB it's fine too so that's why I'm wondering why I get stutters even for non-demanding games.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,776 Posts
Even memtest 86 isn't 100%. I have had enough times where tests were perfect and yet changed ram and issue went away.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it's working perfectly fine, it's probably best to leave it alone.

It is not unheard of for programs such as Speccy to make a mistake once in a while. In the PC world there are way too many variables to be able to test every possible combination of hardware and software.
Do you think visual performance options would make any difference if you disabled them?

·
Registered
142 Posts
According to the Speccy info it shows 28 edge browsers all accessing the internet at the same time which would be a huge performance killer.

You can check to see how many Edge browsers are running by using the task manager and killing them all if they are still running.

If you didn't launch them then I suspect a trojan is calling home with that many browsers loaded.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
According to the Speccy info it shows 28 edge browsers all accessing the internet at the same time which would be a huge performance killer.

You can check to see how many Edge browsers are running by using the task manager and killing them all if they are still running.

If you didn't launch them then I suspect a trojan is calling home with that many browsers loaded.
I believe those are processes from MS including extensions and is generally normal from what I heard. Right now I have "35 MS running"

I've scanned my laptop for trojans and malware and in the past so that shouldn't be the case

·
Registered
142 Posts
You shouldn't have 28 Edge Browsers accessing 28 different ip addresses at the same time. They could all be hidden. You can try to use the Task manager to bring them to the top. I use firefox and waterfox web browsers and will have 5 or 6 instances running in the background with only one actual browser window open.

If that many Edge browsers are running all the time I'd say there's a problem at least. See if you can kill them all in task manager. If they keep coming back and you have not loaded Edge yourself then you have a problem.

I'm using windows 10 and have no Edge browsers running at all. I have 3 Firefox browsers open, as I type this, and it shows 7 instances in task maanger (process explorer). I can kill every instance so that firefox does not show up at all.

Rectangle Product Font Software Screenshot

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You shouldn't have 28 Edge Browsers accessing 28 different ip addresses at the same time. They could all be hidden. You can try to use the Task manager to bring them to the top. I use firefox and waterfox web browsers and will have 5 or 6 instances running in the background with only one actual browser window open.

If that many Edge browsers are running all the time I'd say there's a problem at least. See if you can kill them all in task manager. If they keep coming back and you have not loaded Edge yourself then you have a problem.

I'm using windows 10 and have no Edge browsers running at all. I have 3 Firefox browsers open and it shows 7 instances in task maanger (process explorer).

View attachment 331773
Yep, I just closed MS edge and they're all gone. I restored pages and I'm back to 38 processes, I think this is normal.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Why do you have that many web browsers opened. Did the problem stop after closing all those pages before reloading?

If you didn't load Edge manually then it shouldn't be auto loading.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why do you have that many web browsers opened. Did the problem stop after closing all those pages before reloading?

If you didn't load Edge manually then it shouldn't be auto loading.
I only have about 6 browsers open, I believe the stuttering is just related to a bottleneck of some sort with my CPU/GPU and the fact I don't have 16GB of RAM.

There is no difference from before and after, I have asked about multiple processes with browsers in the past and it is apparently normal.

I had multiple processes on MS edge on clean installations on windows on my old HDD as well, no viruses or trojans.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts