Tech Support banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spouse has a 10+ year old PC that needs something to give it some added life and there is this obstinance about spending money on a machine that just surfs and does email. The video driver for the GTX770 has not been able to be updated in a couple of years because there are no updates for a card that old.

I have a GTX980 in a box doing nothing. The mobo is an ASUS P6T Deluxe. Can the GTX980 be used in the place of the GTX770? I am not sure what to look for to determine if the newer or the older card for that matter card has similar connections that would allow the card to be switched. Thanks.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,732 Posts
In short yes that card would work and be an improvement. That said a 10 year old computer is looking for an excuse to drop dead so I hope your expectations aren't too high.

·
441 Posts
Kepler is only soon to lose support for gaming oriented drivers but you can still actually use the OS provided drivers for regular funtionality - which also covers a lot of older games about 2012>2020. I don't know if you're a gamer but if you just want to use your card you won't have any issues but yes the GTX 980 (non TI) is basically on par with a 6GB GTX 1060/RX 570 even though the GTX 980 is a 4GB card it was a strong one. GTX 980ti is on par with a GTX 1660 (non TI / non Super).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the help. Now, lets hope the card will fit properly in the case. Trying to convince him to replace the 1000W power supply(vintage 2009) while we're in there, but it's a lost cause.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts