Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to dive into some serious work; & need some advice. A few months ago, I added a secondary hard drive to my system (A Dell 700; & the drive was a Maxtor 60GB.) I do a lot of work with digital multitracking; & use the drive exclusively for audio files. The drive was an ATA/133, which I was told will work fine in my ATA/100 system (& it does.) Now, my primary drive is getting noisy & slow; & I purchased another Maxtor, a 40GB; & also a 133. My questions are: A) Now that both drives are going to be 133's, will they both work in my 100 system?; & B) Should I upgrade the card to a 133 anyway? I am running 512MB of SD/RAM, but with a PIII 700, what should I do, stay with the 100 Card (Ultra) or upgrade to the 133. Thanks.

mark4man

·
Registered
852 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

Answer to "A"; yes.

Answer to "B"; Depends. If your 100 controller is "on board" you would have to add a controller card. I have had conflicts SOMETIMES between on board and card controllers after install. Usually it is the on board that stops responding (it's happened twice to me) and you are forced to boot from the aftermarket card. If you have the money, some brains and time to experiment-I would upgrade.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.