Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

A few months ago, my PC crashed, the motherboard was the cause. Because I didn't need it, I gave its Power Supply to my friend.

So, now my PC is missing a motherboard and a power supply. It's been quite a long time it is laying in my bedroom, and I don't know what to do with it, I need a new computer. Should I repair it, or sell it?

Of course, here are the specs of my PC
Model: Gateway GT5634H
specs: Gateway Support - Specifications

*If you suggest me to sell it, where can I sell it?
*I know this PC is very old and not very good, but I don't really need a good one.

Thanks a lot for your help!

·
computer wizard
1,658 Posts
With the mobo and psu gone it would be difficult to sell,It is also very old,You would be better off starting from scratch and building a new pc.You could use the hard drive and optical drive towards the new build and the ram depending on what mobo you choose for the new build,I would also choose a new case..

Have a look at the suggested builds and see what you like and can afford...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...evised-2011-and-updated-regularly-448272.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
Scenario I
Sell or trade the Core 2 Duo for a decent, newer mobo; use your case, if desired (but mounts may prohibit); definitely keep your hard drive.

Scenario II
Use your CPU and hard drive to form base for new computer; purchase a barebones like this and use this opportunity to learn Linux with your new computer.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The CPU is older tech and good quality 775 Mobo's are getting scarce. Your RAM is DDR2 and newer Mobo's are DDR3.
You could salvage the optical drive and Hdd.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you really do not need a new computer then you can get new motherboard and SMPS(Power supply) that will allow your computer to come alive.

Note: Make sure that all other hardware on your computer are working fine before buying anything.

you can go for Intel core 2 Duo processor( 1066 Mhz FSB)

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
A retail Mobo may not fit in the OEM case and the OEM case I/O plate is most likely not removable. DDR3 RAM is required by most all of the 775 Mobo's now.
I have to stay with building new being the best option.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
That I/O plate appears to be non removable as I see it?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
That does appear to be removable. :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.