Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked... is there a way to fix a hard drive that is making noise? I have a couple that are either clicking or wont recognize.

I found a website where a guy explains that he fixed one by swapping the board with an identical drive with the same firmware.

can the discs be swapped into a working drive?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much do the tools cost? can they be purchased easily? Can a clean environment be made? I am thinking a plexi-glass box with a hepa filter and hooked to a small vacuum. How can replacement parts be obtained?

·
Registered
29 Posts
How much do the tools cost? can they be purchased easily? Can a clean environment be made? I am thinking a plexi-glass box with a hepa filter and hooked to a small vacuum. How can replacement parts be obtained?
Not a bad idea there YS...let me know how it works out!

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you're trying to recover data off of a HDD, then I'd recommend sending it to a reputable data recovery company. It'd be far cheaper than building a clean room and doing it yourself. Your clean room would have to be airtight, you'd need a sealed suit with an oxygen tank, etc. You have to remember that even an eyelash or flake of dead skin can render the HDD effectively useless if it gets inside. Not to mention, that even if you did manage to get everything right, there's no guarantee that once you're done the HDD would even work. And you could very well destroy any chance of data recovery if you try and fail. If you're just trying to save money on buying a new HDD then you're barking up the wrong tree. A gigabyte doesn't cost $4 anymore and they're one of the cheaper parts of a computer these days. My advice is to send it in for recovery and/or buy a new HDD.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
It's as much the training and skill as the tools and clean room. Every drive is different, and it's not just swapping parts. Moving the discs to another housing is the LAST thing you do, even in the lab. The first requirement is diagnosis. Is it a board failure, motor or bearing issue, is it a firmware failure, head stack failure, platter damage, preamp, Any of those can cause clicking. Our recovery techs will disassemble and reasemble dozens of drives, from different manufacturer's in all the various scenarios before they ever touch a customers drive.
Cost for pro recovery is going to depend on the drive, and the issue. I have paid over $200.00 for a matching donor drive for a 40GB drive. You need to match more than just the model number, each manufacturer has different codes and parameters on the drive that need to be matched to ensure they are truly compatible.
Pro recovery will cost somewhwere between $500 and $2500. The lower end are bad sectors or weak heads that require special hardware to read, the high end would be high capacity drives with multiple heads and platters that require work in the clean room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.