Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a freakin idiot.

That said, can someone enlighten me as to how one goes about removing Windows 98 from a 98/ 2000 dual boot system? I need to reclaim some drive space pronto - 98 needs to go. Right now, 2000 is my default os on the boot choice screen, if that makes any difference.

Also, what is the likelihood of something going awry and the system grinding to a halt? I've moved all critical data to a seperate partition, but if removing 98 is too risky, I can wait until I have a backup storage device.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
852 Posts
No problem! Wait for a couple responses before trying anything, someone might have a better way........

First- Did you put 2000 on it's own partition? This will make it SO much easier....... If you did-

1. copy all the win98 files you might still need onto the win2k partition.

2. Delete the win98 partition. Re format it NTFS.

3. Open a hidden file- Boot.ini and you will find something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Your win98 partition will be in the list of [operating systems] also, unlike the example. Change timeout to 1, make sure default= points to your winnt, the partition info may be different but copy it from your file, it will boot to 2k with only a 1 second delay.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Dude, if I had the freaking thing in front of me I could take you there in about 10 minutes, but not being able to look at your files I'm sure I would miss something. You can delete all of 98 if you know where it all is, but excersise extreme caution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, I just checked the Boot.ini file and the only string listed after "Windows 2000 Professional was C:\="Microsoft Windows".

Unless this stands for 98, I wonder if this absence may have be something...

Also, there was no /fastdetect string, but I am assuming that this is just an optional switch for 2000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, bud. I appreciate the assistance...

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ok, that was too easy.

[boot loader]
timeout=1
[operating systems]

Plug that in there, you have gained 29 seconds and no reference to win 98 any more.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You have Win98 and 2000 on the same partition ??

How the _ does that work ?

Do you have like a c:\windows dir for Win98
and a c:\winnt for Win2000

X( Thats a recipe for death .:)

After you get rid of Win98 convert to NTFS its superior to Fat32 by quite a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, nine secs : the timeout was set at 10 secs. But thanks anyhow. I guess I'll wait a week for my new HD to come in the mail. Then I'll go nuts with the reformats and reinstalls. BTW, since your profile says you are a Linux guy, I have another question to ask... have you heard of anyone getting a distro to run on an external Firewire/IEE 1394 drive?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheTechIsIN: I like to live on the wild side. Seriously though, I didn't even think about it when I was installing 2000. Que sera sera -

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.