Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my computer over the summer and since then i've been having problems from day one, and the only thing left i can think of is to remove my BIOS for 18hrs(as the manual instructs), besides my MB controller being fried. I have an EPoX 8K3A+ MB that is XP ready, i have XP on my computer, but i was wondering how i would go about removing my BIOS chip(in the manual it tells you what to use, but the tools name is like half numbers, and i sure as heck know i wont be getting my hands on it any time soon). I tried using some needlenose pliers but they didnt work, so i'm wondering what you guys think. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to TSF Sirus1257.........................:D

What page in the manual did you see removing the bios chip for 18 hours.

This is a new one on me..............................:confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Couldn't you just take the battery out for 18hrs... err at least 18mins anyway? wouldn't that be pretty much the same thing? I would say give that a try first.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
First off, you don't remove the BIOS, you need to remove the power to the RAM that stores the BIOS configuration. The BIOS chip itself is FLASH, and it'll remember forever sitting on your desk. :) Most motherboards have a jumper to clear everything to defaults, a far better option than prying chips out of your MB.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i did take the battery out for about a half hour or so while i took a shower, and then i un plugged the whole computer for over 18 hours, so there was no power in anything, but its still the same problem, my friend says that the boards controller is prolly fried, whadda you think?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
well, first to answer your question, you would need to use something similar to the picture below, on the right side, one of the yellow thingmachigies....

I havent seen an explanation to the actual problem yet...what exactly is the problem ?

P.S. be careful getting that chip out...one mistake, helluva time bending the leads back in place.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
When you take the battery out, leave it out at least overnight, obviously with the machine unplugged. Depending on the MB design, the caps can hold a charge for several hours. You might also connect a jumper across the battery terminals after removing the battery to help things along. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.