Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have some Files that i want to remove all traces of i know that when you DEl them they are never really removed... Now if i could i would dban this but there are 3 reasons i cant - its a netbook No cd Drive - Mom said dont mess with the dam OS - no way to reinstall if i could

So How do i remove a file Completely? Like it was never there? But without needing to reinstall or format the HDD ?

I know this can be done but i cant find there names

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have some Files that i want to remove all traces of i know that when you DEl them they are never really removed... Now if i could i would dban this but there are 3 reasons i cant - its a netbook No cd Drive - Mom said dont mess with the dam OS - no way to reinstall if i could

So How do i remove a file Completely? Like it was never there? But without needing to reinstall or format the HDD ?

I know this can be done but i cant find there names
On the bottom of the TrueCrypt site it says
* Note that after you copy existing unencrypted files to a TrueCrypt volume, you should securely erase (wipe) the original unencrypted files. There are software tools that can be used for the purpose of secure erasure (many of them are free).

This is what im asking - were can i find those kind of programs?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I use File Shredder to permanently delete files so they can't be recovered. Freeware and very easy to use. Just drag the files into the File Shredder window and click the Shred button.

There are several algorithm options. Simple one or two passes are enough for most people. Next stage up is the Dept Of Defense level of shredding. The options beyond that take much longer to delete the files, but with no real gains in security.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.