Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work laptop has whole disk encryption (safeguard utimaco). My hard drive is full so I convinced the IT guy to temporarily decrypt my hard drive so that I can image the original drive and copy it to a larger hard drive. This saves me from reinstalling windows and starting from scratch.

The problem is that even though the drive is decrypted, the bootloader for utimaco is still there. So when I imaged the new drive and tried to boot it, the utimaco bootloader freaks out and won't boot. So, I'm thinking I should be able to just run the xp recovery console from the xp install disc and do a fixboot to reinstall the windows bootloader, but I thought I would double check with the experts...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up going for it. I ran bootcfg /rebuild (probably unnecessary), then fixboot, then fixmbr. This worked and windows started to load and the brought up that screen that chkdsk usually has after a reboot. In the screen it says "safeguard easy not found" and then 5 seconds later it goes away and lets me log in. So I just need to know how to get rid of that annoyance and I'm home free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.