Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So there I was, working diligently on a class project when my computer suddenly restarted itself only to give me the afore mentioned error. Much to my dismay I was already aware that there was no disk or CD in any drive in computer, and yet I received this error. It specifically states to "Remove disks or other media, Press any key to restart". If I hit any key, it says "BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." When I put my system disk in the cd drive it of course gives me the normal options to set up Win XP, repair XP, and quit. Something tells me re-installing isn't going to do anything, since it usually doesn't. Has anyone else ever experienced this message without having an unbootable disk in the drive? :confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe the boot sequence in your BIOS has changed somehow. Can you get into BIOS and check that it's not booting off of whichever drive is giving you the error.

Otherwise, you may have a bad boot sector. This KB article links to many articles concerning that problem.

P

·
0 Posts
Boot from your windows CD. Select Repair using Recovery Console.

CHKDSK

chkdsk drive /p /r

The chkdsk command checks the specified drive and repairs or recovers the drive if the drive requires it.The command also marks any bad sectors and it recovers readable information.

You can use the following options:
/p : Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors.
/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Note If you specify the /r option, the /p option is implied. When you specify the chkdsk command without arguments, the command checks the current drive with no options in effect.

When you run the chkdsk command, you are required to use the Autochk.exe file. CHKDSK automatically locates this file in the startup folder. If the Command Console was preinstalled, the startup folder is typically the Cmdcons folder. If CHKDSK cannot find Autochk.exe in the startup folder, CHKDSK tries to locate the Windows CD-ROM installation media. If it cannot find the installation media, CHKDSK prompts you for the location of the Autochk.exe file. source Microsoft
When prompted enter the administrator pw. If there is none leave blank and hit enter.

run the chkdisk command with the switch /p and then /r type exit when finished. Let us know what happened.

Regards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for the suggestion. I did in fact do a chkdsk /r before I read this, and it said that an error was detected and fixed, so I tried rebooting, only to get the same message again...!! *bangs head on desk*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.