Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,can someone please tell me how to remove past icons from the hidden part of the system tray.....when a program puts an icon into the system tray and is then uninstalled it leaves behind the icon

S

·
0 Posts
Enable view all folders and then do a search for START. Open the start folders and see if any of them have that particular icon and delete it.

S

·
0 Posts
Go here and download Powertoys TweakUI for XP and install it.

When you page your way through it you will find Rebuild Icons try that and see if it helps.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
chronos55 said:
hi,can someone please tell me how to remove past icons from the hidden part of the system tray.....when a program puts an icon into the system tray and is then uninstalled it leaves behind the icon
Do you mean system tray or quick launch toolbar? If something is in your system tray, it is a program still running on your computer and you'll need to uninstall it before it will go away. If there is something in the quick launch toolbar you want to get rid of, right click on it and hit 'delete'.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i mean system tray.right click taskbar,properties,tick hide inactive icons,customize,past items.....full of rubbish eg old program icons,etc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have downloaded tweak ui and installed,ran rebuild icons.....no joy at all.do i need to open the icon cache file and if so what program would i use,any advice on this would be welcome....thank you

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tried msconfig no joy either.these past icons will not be in there,if someone out there has a look at their own past items in the hide innactive icons part of the system tray they will know what i am talking about

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes,those are the ones.i know that they all do not have to be removed but i would like to remove the ones that are old and represent uninstalled programs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.