Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The C: Drive on my computer is setup as a removable drive. It is actually just my main boot drive and only hard drive in the system. Is there a way to change it to a fixed disk type without reformatting or destroying the data on the disk?

The reason I ask is that I just purchased Battlefield 1942 and it will not load on my computer. When it comes time to creating the directory for all the files the installation program gives me an error saying its an invalid drive or directory.

Thanks

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,284 Posts
Mopac is it in one of those drive cages that lets you take drive out and install it into another machine? If so, that shouldn't make a hill of beans to the program. Even those IDE or SCSI cages don't make it appear as a "removable drive " to Windows.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hey there Mopac...
one way you can change that option for the drive is to go to :

Right Click My computer ->properties

Click on Device Manager Tab
Expand Disk Drives (should be second from top in the list)
Double click on drive that shows up in the list
Click on settings tab
See if the box labeled "removable" under options is checked
If it is, uncheck it and then reboot.

Performance tip :
(*this might not affect your performance in any drastic way but every little bit helps when you're playing games ;) *)

under Device Manager go to hard disk controllers and go to properties of your IDE controller (for ex. SiS 5510 dual PCI IDE controller) and go to settings and select both IDE channels enabled from the dropdown list. Click ok and reboot.

Tip # 2

in system properties, under performance tab, click on file system.
Under Hard disk settings, select network server from the dropdown list, click ok and have it reboot....

hope this helps.
Have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, all better now.

Thanks for the info Midnighttech and Merlin. My hunch was right. Apparently Battlefield 1942 has a security feature in its setup program that does not like removable drives. Nice to know it is easy to change the HDD from removable.

Midnighttech, yes I have my only HDD (Boot C:\ Drive) in a removable HDD case. So I assumed I should set it up as a removable drive. It has not caused a problem until I tried to load BF1942. I had the exact problem with the BF1942 Demo as well.

Problem is now solved and BF1942 is up and running.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.