Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1998 Ford Contour last year in late February. I started having problems with it once I brought it home and a friend has been helping me out with what he can, because the dealer wouldn't help me after I got ahold of him almost everyday for like 5 months. I bought a new battery for my keyless entry pad (The piece that locks, unlocks, and opens trunk, duno what it's called) and was pressing the buttons cause I didn't know what they did. My car started by itself, and turned off. It did this 3 times. I couldn't believe it. The dealer that sold me the P.O.S. didn't say anything about a remote starter, but I would like to know what might be wrong with it since it will start but won't stay started. Definitely might be worth fixing if it isn't expensive. Thank you, I appreciate any help, even if it doesn't work. :)

·
Moderator Automotive Center
2,755 Posts
Hi deMANDIng

Buying a used car is always a gamble because you get it as is, second hand dealers are hustlers so to make a sale the salesman just omits a few details because he/she want its off the lot and there is little or no warranty on anything. If you can do without the remote starter my suggestion to you is gut it from the car and re-wire the harness to their original color codes. Simply locate the wiring diagram for your car and strip it clean of all the bells and whistles from its previous owner to bring it back to specs, if you have any difficulty doing the work there are people here that can help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, could you tell me if someone without experience doing this, could do it with someones help from here? I have a friend that will do it, but I'm kind of an impatient woman, (go figure right? ;) haha) but I wouldn't mind learning how to do it at all. It would save me money and could be fun, and I have been slowly starting to like my car for the first time since I bought it, and my friend has been helping me out with it. So, if you think it might not be too difficult of a task, then I'm ready when you, or whoever can help is ready! Thanks!!!

·
Moderator Automotive Center
2,755 Posts
Before tackling the job head on there are few knowledge based tools you need to have, and in the world of mechanics patience is one of them ;) First, you or who ever is helping you do the work must have some understanding of the techniques involved by being able to make wire connections and read the schematics that will be used.

Second, you will need the tools such as a digital meter, test light, to verify that the correct connection is getting power to the proper circuit. As a first timer dealing with wires you may find it daunting or even a bit intimidating. This is especially the case when you try to untangle a bunch of wires dangling together not knowing which one goes where when you attempt making the right connection. If it doesn't go right the first time two things will happen. 1) You burn out something and then ask God for help. 2) Yell out some colorful expletive and then objects go flying. (not exactly in that order)

So to get started you will need to locate the wiring diagram of the car which you can find at : AutoZone Auto Parts Stores | Motor Oil, Exhaust Systems, Suspension Parts, Car Starters, Car Stereo, Radiator Hoses, Headlights, Car Accessories, and More - AutoZone.com (sign up its free). There you will need to input all the information about your car to get the proper diagram. Once you got it, the next step is to have the proper tools to be able to remove the lower panels to get access to the wires. To do that look underneath the panels on the driver's side and find the fasteners to see what type of screwdrivers you need.

The next step is crucial, study the diagram to the best of your ability so you will be able to identify wires by their color code. For example: A typical wire will have R/LG written on the diagram. This means that the wire is Red with a Light Green stripe.

The next step is to know which color code wires were used and their respective locations on the car for the remote start system. Which you can find here: '98 Ford Contour / Mercury Mystique Alarm / Remote Start Info.

Make a copy so you can have all the information with you when doing the work. When you have got everything you can start tearing into the panels.

Note: Before going into panic mode it will help you immensely by taking pictures of every step you do, so you can use it as reference when you are putting things together.

You ready ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.