Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Basically im trying to work out how to 'use' a computer from a different part of my house, ive tried remote desktop which does do the job but its far to sluggish for my needs. (trying to run full screen graphical applications)
Ive also had a look at a networked KVM switch so that i can plug in my moniter/mouse/keyboard and then let the switch in effect plug them into the other computer, however they cast rather a lot it seems and are more suited for rack servers in a different part of the world instead of a room on the other side of the house.
I was hopeing someone here would be able to point me in the right direction of something to accomplish this.
Cheers and take care

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're wanting to do something like play a game via a remote connection or watch a movie then you're pretty much out of luck. There isn't a good software solution for that which costs less than a networked KVM.
You can try this http://www.newworldtelnet.com/buddy-betwin_B-680.htm but I don't know how reliable it is for gaming, etc... And it's still 150$.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is all going to depend on what sort of refresh rate you need remotely. For example. any media rich/intense website is going to require a lot more in terms of bandwidth and resfresh rate than something like www.techsuppportforum.com (shameless plug I know!).

Generally speaking, remote access tools are for remote management or for general PC computing. I'm currently in an environment split 50/50 with thinclients and PC's. I have numerous Terminal Servers with over 500 agents accessing them from as far as 1800 miles away. It's more than doable, but once you try and do something that demands fast refresh, performance falls off the table COMPLETELY!.

Trying to run highend graphics apps has never faired very well in terms of RDP, VNC, PCAnywhere, or even CITRIX.

On a side note, KVM over IP is only meant to be a replacement for YOU being physically in front of a machine in a bind. It's not really meant for remote computing. There are other tools out there as well that dot his sort of things but are generally built into the comptuer system itself, and those I can only remember being on servers e.g. Dell RAC, HP iLO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.