Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 4 year old Time machine running Windows XP. It froze last week and then refused to reboot normally, it got itself into some kind of vicious circle ending up in a blue screen, it would not allow me to use safe mode etc. I left it with a guy who said my HDD was making funny noises, he could not retrieve any data from it. I did a pretty stupid thing and loaded in the reload disk and pressed restore to factory settings, then within a few seconds stopped it; from that time on I get a trap 00000006 exception error message. Is my hard disk completely gone?
Next problem was trying to load XP on to a new Hard disk - I can't do it from the reload disk, is there any way of running Windows without forking out for a new copy?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
As far as the hard drive, on a working computer go to the hard drive manufacturer's website and download their hard disk diagnostic utility. You should be able to burn this utility to a CD and then boot from the CD and run the diagnostic utility. This should tell you if the drive is dying or dead. If you need help booting from a CD, let me know.

As far as the CD you have goes, is this a real Windows XP cd or a Recovery CD? If it a recovery CD you will most likely need to borrow a genuine XP OEM installation CD to reinstall XP. Some recovery CDs don't even contain the files to restore the system, rather they only allow you to use a recovery partition on the hard drive to restore your system.

BMR777

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.