Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Not really a tech support question (sorry)

Does anyone know of any implications (legal/technical) of selling second hand versions of Windows XP.

Would things such as Serial Numbers / Activaton cause any problems.

The Software was bought legally and everything. It is from a liquidated ciompany.

While I'm at it, what about other software (for example second hand photoshop). Can it be re-registered using the serial numbers it came with?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Graham

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know of any implications (legal/technical) of selling second hand versions of Windows XP.
There aren't really any technical implications, but there are legal ones. Microsoft does not authorize any sort of resale unless you are an authorized distributor. If any of the software has been used/registered already, then the next user that buys it will not have access to Microsoft support (yes, I hear the laughter... support) and could possibly be nailed for software piracy. Windows XP comes with a license that is granted to (normally) a single user, and that license is non-transferable.

For a more official answer, call Microsoft and discuss it with one of their business reps.
While I'm at it, what about other software (for example second hand photoshop). Can it be re-registered using the serial numbers it came with?
It can't. If it was registered once already, then that serial number is already linked with the prior user.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you buy the hardware (PC) along with XP installed on it, and XP is registered there isn't any problem.

gr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.