Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently dealt with some bad ram. That is all taken care of now though (I think my GPU might also be defective, but that is a different story).

I had a thread going here during this situation. The people here said that they thought the bad ram should have no effect on the OS install. I thought that it was a possibility, and now I'm back after realizing something.

I tried using the reliability history feature that Windows 7 has. During the screen where it is gathering information, explorer.exe stops responding and restarts. I have another partition on this HDD with Windows 7 that was installed on good ram. I only used it for testing for like a day, but I just started it up and tried a reliability history. It successfully started it up. There was no data because of how little I used the partition, but it still displayed.

Now my question is what could have caused my reliability history to always crash explorer.exe? Is this from an incorrectly installed OS, or is there really a way for this part of Windows to just flat out fail. I have very little on this partition. Just my games and some music.

I am perfectly fine with reformatting. I just don't want to do it if I don't have to.

---

Also, winamp freezes my OS. I uninstalled it and searched google. It seems others have this happen, but that is when they click "send to." Mine froze just plain randomly several times when I was using it.

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
Its just a shot but I would try a repair install just in case something did go wrong during the install while the bad ram was in.
If the one partiton works and you know that the other could have issuses due to the timing it is worth the time just to be sure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok....I give up. I get the screen that there are devices/programs that will be affected and might not work properly after upgrade. I uninstalled both programs that came up: Catalyst Control Center and Catalyst Install Manager.

Here is the problem...it seems impossible to remove the install manager...I mean impossible. I tried everything. I removed it through "Uninstall programs." I deleted all ATI folders left. I ran driver sweeper in safe mode. I removed all ATI software registry entries. Windows Installer Clean Up found nothing.

If you don't think it will mess up the program when I reinstall it, tell me and I will upgrade despite it telling me that I should uninstall it. Just remember that if it does cause problems, I will be quite unhappy.

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
The repair install will just reset the W7 setup.
As per the link choose the upgrade option and it will save any progs. that are installed.
The drivers on the other hand will most likely need to be reinstalled as they will reset to the generic default drivwers that W7 come with.

As with any (Re) install back up anything that you have to just to be sure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are volunteers here giving up time away from our families to try and help. As with other things in life - there are NO GUARANTEES !

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

That is just my way of saying that if you tell me to go against a warning, be sure that it won't do harm. Or if it can do harm, warn first. Not trying to tell you that I would come back with a pitchfork.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.