Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not great at tech but ill give this a shot. lets start from the beginning. I have an HP Compaq Nc6220, 60gig seagate hard drive, 2 gigs ram. I was running XP pro with sp3. Those are the tech specs and as much as i know about it, if you need any more info and can tell me how to check it i can try. I was surfing one night on worldofwarcraft.com just reading forums and trying to pick up tips cause im a total noob at that too. and somehow i got a virus that kept prompting me to install fake antivirus software. i know it was fake cause i googled the name of it and google said so lol it somehow got in and was bringing iup fake windows warning balloons in the bottom right coprner next to the time display prompting me to purchase the software from a site. It refused to go away and mcafee couldn't remove it. I tried and tried and then it seemed like malwarebytes finally got it out. then no more than a day later im surfing on yahoo reading news and talking to a friend on facebook and i get a flashing blue screen and my computer would just restart over and over. I could get to where i could choose between mine and my wifes user account. I would enter in the password and my computer would just blue screen so fast i couldnt read what it said and then restart. It just did that over and over and over. I asked around and someone suggested doing a reinstall of windows. I have a reinstall CD that says it has xp ro with sp2 on it. I have tried multiple times to install it. i always choose the C: drive and it formats and copies files and it looks like its going to work untilk it gets to the point where it reboots itself then i get the error that "the following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\inf\biosinfo.inf" then it says to repair choose "r" at the installation screen, which i do then it takes me into a screen i have no idea what to do in. I have tried reinstalling several times and have no idea what to do. i just keep getting the same error. i know i've already lost everything on my hard drive. thats no biggie. can't undo that but could someoje please tell me what is a bios and why is it corrupted? lol someone please help me. i've got a desktop that im on so if i have to burn and transfer or whatever i can do that. please help.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
great tip from CCT...I personally do not like Norton Antivirus...it seems to be too intrusive .....and prefer to use the Free AVG available for download to anyone... good luck with this suggested fix and post back with your results..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay now ive got another question. new development here. it wont boot from the cd. it starts inspecting the hardware config, then it says setup is loading files at the bottom. then it goes into a blue screen that actually stays on the screen until i restart that says "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer......SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.........then at the bottom it says technical information: STOP: 0x0000006f (0xc0000020, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000" would getting a new hard drive and trying to install windows on that help? because if so i would gladly spend that dough to avoid this headache lol ive restarted and tried three times and gotten this screen

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Yes, from what I read that is indication of bad hardware, and is likely the drive.

You could create a Memtest86 boot cd and test your Ram 1 stick at a time bnefore paying for a new drive, but then again extra drives are nice to have.

edit - scouring around I found one instance where the cd drive was faulty also (hardware) - as well, clesning the install cd would be good advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for your suggestions. for now im shipping the laptop to a friend who has a repair business and said he would fix it for free since i let him crash in my spare bedroom for four months rent free in '05 lol. he said he would let me know what is wrong with it so i could post the solution here when its finished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.