Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping a friend reinstall her Compaq desktop. Sorry, I do not know the model number, but it is a version that came with the "Restore CD" and HD partition. I do not believe it came with a true OS CD.

If i wanted to install XP onto a new HD (actually, the same HD, but with the partitions destroyed), could I use a generic OEM XP CD with the Compaq CD Key number on the sticker on the case?

Also, she was not sure if she had the MS Works CD's, but it was preinstalled on the machine. She would like it reinstalled as well. Shouldn't she have these CD's or could they get by just including it on the restore partition as well?

If she REALLY wants Works, and she does not have the CD's, then I guess I will use the restore partition.

PK

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If i wanted to install XP onto a new HD (actually, the same HD, but with the partitions destroyed), could I use a generic OEM XP CD with the Compaq CD Key number on the sticker on the case?
Yes. As long as the versions are the same (eg XP Home was on the PC and the CD is XP Home) it will work with an OEM cd because you have an OEM key. Note that you might have to call Microsoft to get the computer activated though. You'll have to explain the situation to them most likely.

As far as Works goes, you'll probably have to restore from the recovery partition if you want that back, unless she has the CD. They might not have shipped her the CD for Works.

BMR777

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the OEM CD that I have is XP Home with SP2. I am pretty sure that the key is for XP Home w/o SP2, if that matters.

I don't understand how they can sell a PC with software, but no CD's. I thought that was illegal.

pk

·
Registered
75 Posts
you can use an oem version of xp but the thing about the restore disks is that they have the drivers for the hardware. Some the hardware you may be able to use generic drivers from windows but some of your hardware may not work I can remember some of my clients that called me after they reinstalled windows and often their network cards would not work because they did not have the drivers.
So they had to find the cd for the network card or download the drivers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, new question about this system. Right now it only has 256 MB of RAM (PC133). It can only support 512 MB and has just two RAM slots. I have several 128 MB sticks of RAM laying around, but it is all PC100. I know that these are fairly interchangable, but won't adding the PC100 clock the PC133 down to 100 also? I would think there would still be a benefit in adding 128 MB of RAM.

I have PCWizard installed, so I can tell you whatever you need to know about the mobo and chipset.

I don't want to mess up her system, though she is considering an upgrade to new system for Christmas. This one would become a hand me down to her son.

PK

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello ,

you are right about the ram , it you install the pc 100 it will clock the pc133 down , also you can boost you virtual menory , double it to the amount of ram that the system say you have for virtual memory , there are more tweaks that you can do to increase performance

i have done what you are describing with the ram & done the other tweaks to get back the performance

plus you can still get pc133 at ( http://www.tigerdirect.com ) real cheap !! 512 for under $35 & that includes shipping ?? :>)

Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So would you recommend installing the 128 MB stick of PC100 or not?

I really do not think she wants to spend anything on this system.

pk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.