Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't connect wirelessly or with an ethernet cable. I downloaded a driver; that didn't work.

Here are the results to an ipconfig /all command:

host name: toshiba user
primary dns suffix:
Node type: unknown
ip routing enabled: no
WINS proxy enabled: no

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Intel(R0 Pro/100 VE Network Connection

Physical address: 00-08-0D-32-1C-F8
DHCP enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP address: 169..254.254.67
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

I am truly at a loss. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I downloaded the driver for my Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Adapter from the Intel web site. I thought I needed this driver based on other advice (and also because under device manager I was seeing a red X next to it. I installed the driver, enabled the adapter (which now I suspect may have been what I needed to do all along to make the red X go away, but nothing has changed.

To answer the question of whether I installed the software of my ISP: No -- I don't have any software from my ISP. I have a cable modem and a Mac Airport station. I started out trying to connect wirelessly -- my computer could detect the wireless network but not connect -- and then I tried connecting via ethernet cable to the modem, which was also unsuccessful.

Again, any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks to all.

Matt

· TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,809 Posts
Are there any other devices in your device manager that are not functioning normally? Something tells me he probably did not install the network card into a CNR slot...or hopefully he would have mentioned it in his original post. More than likely it is an onboard NIC that is builtin to the motherboard.

Now that your card is enabled, and assuming your drivers are installed, turn all the equipment off (modem and PC), connect your PC straight to the modem. Then power on the modem, wait a minute or two, then power on the PC and see if it acquires a new IP address.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elf: I followed your instructions, and I was able to connect to the Internet via ethernet, but am continuing to have the same problem when trying to establish a wireless connection.

My computer detects the wireless networks, and gives me the message that "one or more wireless connections are available, to see a list, click here.". I click there and it shows me a list that includes my own as well as those of my neighbors. I click on mine, and I get a message that says it requires a network key. I enter our SSID (the only password we've ever had to use to connect to our mac airport in the past) and am told the password needs to be 40 or 140 bits depending on my network configuration, and that it can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

I am stumped. Any suggestions?

· TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,809 Posts
The only thing I can assume is your wireless NIC is trying to use a different kind of encryption. Check to see if there are other options to the password.

I also found a page that could be helpful:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1126
It suggests if you are using a password that is made up of words or letters (ASCII) to put quotation marks "" around the password.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.