Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this, so please forgive me if I don't make sense. Anyway; About a week or so ago my laptop died on me, and today I decided to re-install Windows XP. I managed to get it installed without any problems, but have now noticed a few bugs. The first is that I have no sound. I tried googling this and as far as I can work out I need to download some drivers or similar? My question is, how I can figure out which ones are for my laptop? Is there any program I can use to tell me the exact ones? Second, my scroller on mylaptop doesn't work and I really have no idea why. The third is that when I'm on the internet there is a weird (and very annoying) scrolling effect. It's almost as when your computer lags, and you try scrolling and when it does there is a weird sort of "wave" or ripple effect happening and everything is a bit delayed. It's incredibly irritating and I have no idea what to do. It's the same on both Flock and Explorer. If anyone could help, I'd be very very grateful.

Thank you

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, never mind about the sound. I figured that one out, and I thought I had the other problems figured out as well. I had a look at http://www.techsupportforum.com/f6/laggy-scroll-120521.html and another one, and went looking for a driver that fits my laptop. The thing is that all those I found that seemed to be right, set off my avast anti virus scanner. Does anyone know how to go about this? Should I just go ahead and download and install or what? Thanks :wave:

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Welcome to TSF....

Since windows was re-installed the thing that has to be done is to install all of the special drivers like chipset, buss, network, audio, video and others, they can be installed in any order you wish and can be found on the system recovery disk set for the computer if it is an OEM like Compaq, Dell etc. or if you do not have a recovery disk set the drivers can be found on the manufacturers web site for either the motherboard or the manufacturer of the computers web site. You can download these drivers and burn to a CD-R and then install those following instructions to reboot when asked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply. I do have recovery disks, but they are not working, I reinstalled for that very reason. As for finding drivers, I'm having problems figuring out which ones I need and where to get them. According to this Driver Updater Pro thing I downloaded I need to install 11 different, and seeing as I've barely managed to find one... yeah, I'm gonna take this to someone who knows what they are doing because I was pretty lucky to get it up and running again without breaking it. Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Welcome to TSF....

Since windows was re-installed the thing that has to be done is to install all of the special drivers like chipset, buss, network, audio, video and others, they can be installed in any order you wish and can be found on the system recovery disk set for the computer if it is an OEM like Compaq, Dell etc. or if you do not have a recovery disk set the drivers can be found on the manufacturers web site for either the motherboard or the manufacturer of the computers web site. You can download these drivers and burn to a CD-R and then install those following instructions to reboot when asked.
If you follow the instructions highlighted above in my quote this will take you to the drivers that you need. I have given these instructions out several hundred times and they have always worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did that, and as I mentioned I downloaded a driver that set off my anti virus program. Should I download and ignore that? I tried downloading the same driver 3 different places and with the same results, btw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.