Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story so far:

Windows ME box came up with the old "error running explorer.exe please reinstall windows".

I checked "shell=" was not modified by some trojan (wich was my first thought)
I cleared run= and load= in win.ini

I ran ext and reextracted explorer.exe from the cab files.
I also used ext on msvcrt.dll.

I still get the "reinstall windows" error...

Do I actualy have to follow windoze orders?
Is there another version of explorer.exe that I can use besides the on in my old cab files? I was wondering with all the service packs and patches etc...

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I'd dump Me and go with something, ANYTHING else. You can try reinstalling with a full CD, but it's still Me so be warned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yeah, I will go with xp when the time comes... im just trying to recover the data in some way before that....

Are there any good programs that will allow me to burn a cd while booting from a cd or a ramdrive? I tried one called but it was all command line wich made it soooo annoying to do like 300 files... I was hoping for a shell type...

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I have reinstalled windows from the cab files without losing any data. If the problem is just explorer you can still download the original explorer that came with ME on microsofts website and then upgrade to the newer version.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Im assuming the explorer.exe that i extracted from the cab files is the original version. Im just wondering if after all the other updates I did, that reverting to that version of explorer.exe makes it not able to recover...

At this point im just probably going to throw the hard drive into an external box and use my other rig to extract the files ....

After that I will try reinstalling me from a disk and see if the data is still there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.