Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having problems accessing secure sites and could find no cause or solution. Started a thread at this web site but got no responses and nothing I could find on the net was any help. With that said I am trying to reinstall Windows XP Pro, but it locks up and restarts. It gets to the loading devices section and there are 34 mins left on the install and it just restarts. I am loading from the cd and no matter what I try I can't get out of the reinstall process. I tried to go into safe mode but the system can't restore from safe mode. Last known good configuration just takes me back to the reinstall. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings

when an xp install starts with the "loop" cycles on an install, many times its a hardware problem.

as keymaker says, list your specs

try and install with the bare minimum installed at first

if there is 2 sticks of ram, take out 1....alot of times the spd on the ram doesnt agree with what the motherboard wants, therefore we need to relax timings to begin with, and not leave the ram settings on spd in the bios setup.

post back

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hardware Specs

The computer is a Dell Dimension 2400, Pentium IV running at 2.66Ghz, with 512 ram and an 80gig Hard Drive. The OS is Windows XP Pro with service pack 2, which I uninstalled prior to the reinstall, it came with Service Pack 1. The computer was running fine prior to the re-installation with the exception of not being able to go to secure sites which we need for daily operations. Do you need anything else?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
try resetting your cmos..unplug the computer, pull the access side panel off, and pull the cmos battery for 30 minutes.

in regards to the previous problem check here
post back

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery out

I took the battery out and will post again when I put it back in. When I took the installation cd out I was allowed to see the setup log and this is the error that is being written each time it restarts:

Error: Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security.

An extended error has occured.

Could this stem from the initial problem of not being able to access secure sites?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Go

Put the battery back in, reseated the RAM - only one stick - and started it back up. Got an error message about the date & time, ran setup to correct that. When it started up it went right back to the setup routine and is still doing the restart thing at the same point. At this point I am willing to do a complete format and reinstall if that is possible. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ideas?

Any ideas on how to break out of the reinstall process so that I can reformat the hard disk?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.