·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know if it's

A. An issue with Firefox
B. An issue with Windows 8
C. An issue with my new laptop.

Out of 3 computers I regularly use, 2 on a daily basis and 1 on a weekly basis, this is the only computer that has issues where I have to clear my cache and cookies ATLEAST once per day. Otherwise certain websites don't fully load.
For example, I went to Hotmail.com just now, and it loaded a white page until I cleared my cache and cookies and it finally loaded properly.
Other websites like Gamefaqs will load, however everything will be a jumbled up mess, and no images/banners will have loaded properly.

Clearing my cache and cookies for the last hour always fixes it. Regardless of whether I have been to that website in the last hour or any website in the last hour.

Sometimes I have to clear my cache and cookies every 10 minutes, sometimes I only have to do it once per hour.
However I have yet to go 2 hours without having to clear my cache and cookies atleast once.

I can still return this computer if need be (though they'll give me a hassle for it). But this is something I would expect to be a software issue. Only I have no idea how to fix it :/

Also no I have not tried other browsers yet. I keep meaning to, but this is a laptop I use mostly at work so I haven't gotten around to it. Firefox is the only browser I've used as of yet.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the 2nd link, and it seemed to be a broken page.
Took a few tries to load (probably my stupid caching issue)
Then finally loaded and got this:

Reducing memory usage (Firefox
There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page.

It looks like Firefox is, on average, using up approximately 25% of my available memory. Could this be the cause of the issue perhaps?
I'll follow the tips in the first link you gave me. Thanks :)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
That is quite a lot of memory usage and hope the tips do it for you.

I've noticed that on the odd time I use FF as an alternate browser, just booting it creates ~14MB temp Internet files, so it is a bit of a resource hog - why not use IE instead :smile:

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
firefox does use quite of bit of resources but it also depends upon the addons and toolbars install.

first thought, how is your harddrive space. do you have at least 15 percent free? you said you had not but you really need to try another browser. this will help determine if the problem is with firefox or something else. if you had not done so, make sure you have the latest version of firefox. finally, try uninstalling then reinstalling firefox.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can now confirm Tomken's 1st method did not work for me :/
I appreciate the attempt though

firefox does use quite of bit of resources but it also depends upon the addons and toolbars install.

first thought, how is your harddrive space. do you have at least 15 percent free? you said you had not but you really need to try another browser. this will help determine if the problem is with firefox or something else. if you had not done so, make sure you have the latest version of firefox. finally, try uninstalling then reinstalling firefox.
Harddrive space is approximately 80% free. I haven't had the laptop that long, not nearly long enough to use the data (and I've been a bit lazy about transferring my games and such over).

I'm not a fan of IE, and Chrome isn't bad but I don't really like it too much (I'm too used to FF). But I suppose for testing purposes it might be a good idea to test one of these other browsers atleast temporarily.

I may just need to return the laptop, but I'll atleast troubleshoot it first. They gave me a hassle for returning my last laptop, and that one had obvious issues (backlight on the screen would turn off all the time).

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,751 Posts
Have you updated FF to the latest Version? Have you cut down the size of the cache?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you tried IE to see if you have the same problem ?

On the off chance that you've picked up some unwanted program, run AdwCleaner to see if it finds anything.

You can also read through this MS article to reset the Hosts file in Win 8 How can I reset the Hosts file back to the default? - the auto fixit doesn't work in Win 8.
I downloaded Chrome, but I haven't used my laptop in the past couple of days, so I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet. I'll try pointlessly browsing to random websites tonight while I'm at work and see if I can force it to happen again.

I will also test IE tonight as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.