Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to have to do a a clean reinstall of XP on this laptop. But, what I'd like to have next time is something that can make regular registry backups. My system has been infected with something, and I've tried practically everything to remove it, GMer, Combofix and about a score of anti-virus programs.

I'd like something that can make registry backups say, once an hour. I don't think it's excessive. This way I can load a previous copy and undo whatever has gotten into the system. But, what about protecting those backups themselves from virus's?

On another note, what do you usually do if an anti-virus doesn't fix your system? So many of them are try before you buy. But, I'm not willing to pay for an anti-malware unless it completely cleans my system of malware or if that's impractical say 95-98% clean. One I haven't tried is PC doctor, I've seen on the web it's gotten good reviews. I really think AV's should tweak their heuristic methods, because AVG which I've been using finds lots of things that aren't actually viruses (false positives) But, that program is by no means the only one I have tried. I once spent 3 of 4 days using some free anti-malware programs, installing one after another (since I can't have more than one installed or they will conflict) and scanning, nada.

I once had an online session with tech where she made me download McAfee where she said it was better than AVG because it is updated every day. But, this isn't true. I went on several days where there were no updates for it. I've also used the so-called second opinion scanners, Panda and Hitman, what did you think of those? Seems like going back a day, a week, or whatever in the registry is the only way to surely kill something that is giving you trouble- well, at least if you know when it first arrived on your system.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,135 Posts
Viruses and malware do not just live in the Registry, they also live in your Windows Files and other places, like system restore. So Backing up your registry would not solve your problem. If you really clean your machine, or if you reinstall XP, updated it get all your software on it you like, then you can Clone your drive to another drive, Using Ghost, or Acronis, or some of the free cloning software, and when your C: Drive gets infected then wipe your C: drive, and restore the C: drive with your clone drive. Be sure to test this first to make sure the clone works. That way, it will bring you back to the time when your drive was cleanly installed.

If you're still infected please post over at the Security Section of this forum for more help.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,385 Posts
The program you want is ERUNT. It's an awesome freeware program that can be configured to automatically back up your registry once per day. Backing up your registry every hour is complete overkill. To restore your registry you'll have to boot to a utility disc or recovery console. Although, this isn't a method for virus removal.

There is no *one* software program that will cover you for every type of virus or malware out there. And I can't think of any reason why a virus can't be removed, I've never come across one. I can't help you with removal - you'd have to go to the link Spunk supplied for that. I'm not a fan of AVG and the only software I'd use from McAfee is there uninstaller. All the top 10 antivirus programs update automatically, almost daily.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would wait for a moderator before doing anything but before that you might want to simplify your problem or question
Well, I need to cover everything, and it can't always be done in a few sentences, I don't want to take away any vital information, but basically It's just what the subject line says, I want something to back up my registry once an hour. The other two paragraphs are on something else.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The program you want is ERUNT. It's an awesome freeware program that can be configured to automatically back up your registry once per day. Backing up your registry every hour is complete overkill. To restore your registry you'll have to boot to a utility disc or recovery console. Although, this isn't a method for virus removal.
The poster above you was saying the registry isn't a record of everything on the computer. I thought it was, a record of all files and settings in windows, basically everything that the copy you have of windows installed has- the whole shebang, Oh well.

There is no *one* software program that will cover you for every type of virus or malware out there. And I can't think of any reason why a virus can't be removed, I've never come across one.
I know this, but something that would remove everything for the most part, not 100% of everything, but most say, 90% of it or better. And, it does no good to remove the virus after it's done it's damage, it must be undone.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,385 Posts
The registry isn't a record of *everything*, but it's the heart of the Windows operating system. It's kind of like the glue between your computer hardware and Windows/software programs. Most people never even think about registry backups, which can save a lot of headaches, but it still doesn't cover everything.

I've been using Avast anti-virus for years and like it. I would put it in the 'covering 90%' range. There are other good, free AV programs as well as paid versions out there. Viruses can be removed (undoing the changes they made) and Windows files can be repaired.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Viruses and malware do not just live in the Registry, they also live in your Windows Files and other places, like system restore. So Backing up your registry would not solve your problem. If you really clean your machine, or if you reinstall XP, updated it get all your software on it you like, then you can Clone your drive to another drive, Using Ghost, or Acronis, or some of the free cloning software, and when your C: Drive gets infected then wipe your C: drive, and restore the C: drive with your clone drive. Be sure to test this first to make sure the clone works. That way, it will bring you back to the time when your drive was cleanly installed.

If you're still infected please post over at the Security Section of this forum for more help.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help
Hmm, just wondering. How long does it take to make a copy of your whole (assuming it was near full in this case) 300GB hard drive? Could it be done every day without too much trouble? In this case, meaning without waiting a five hours. I copy things which are several gigs to my 2TB external hard drive, which takes a reasonable amount of time, but not unreasonable.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,135 Posts
For your situation, I would clone just my OS (including Windows Program Files, Drivers, Updates, SP's etc) But not any media files. I then would put all of your Media files (Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos etc) on an external drive. (Put them on the C: drive as well) When you save something, save it to your external drive as well as the C: drive (Backup, get it?) If something happens to your C: drive, if you have just the OS cloned to a separate drive, then you just restore the Cloned image back to the freshly formatted C: drive (now you are back in business with your original OS, updates, drivers etc) Now you can restore you media files (Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos) at your leisure. Keeping your files in 2 places ( C: and external drive) is handy too if your external goes belly up. (you have the originals on the C: drive as backup.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.