Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm a noob, njub, n00b, newblet, newb, noobie, newbie, nub, an amateur.
Anyways there's somebody selling some old computers for cheap & I was wondering which I should get, a workstation computer or just a general purpose computer?

workstation-500mhz, 256 ram, scsi hdd
regular-400mhz, 128 ram

I'm wanting to get one of them just as a cheap spare computer to mess with. I was told since I'm going to be using it for general use & not really as a server I should get the 400mhz. I am just curious what your thoughts on this are.

·
Registered
906 Posts
A workstation is not neccesarily a server, its a machine used for such things as Mechanical designing etc. It may be a top of the line machine in its day. It may have some specialized hardware in it for whatever it was used for.

It could also be a cheap machine used by a secretary for word processing.

You might want to look and see what it has in it and google the hardware included.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya sorry I didn't mean to say it was necessarily a server. Maybe a bit below a server or something........ I guess :tongue: . If I can I'll see about looking into what it has for hardware. I am just curious which would be the better overall choice. (lol which may be kind of hard to decide due to my lack of information about the system internals)

·
Registered
906 Posts
owbaer said:
Ya sorry I didn't mean to say it was necessarily a server. Maybe a bit below a server or something........ I guess :tongue: . If I can I'll see about looking into what it has for hardware. I am just curious which would be the better overall choice. (lol which may be kind of hard to decide due to my lack of information about the system internals)
Well you know one thing! The workstation has twice the Ram, 100mhz more speed and a Scuzzy drive so there is reason to think it is a quality machine that was built for speed.

You dont put a drive like that in a word processor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ya that's what I was thinking too. That the workstation is much better. The only thing that I'm worried about is my brother was telling me it's not as good towards general use as is the 400mhz while a friend told me that I can use either computer really. I like the workstation cause overall it's better but I don't want to get a computer & use it for functions it can't handle as well.

sorry if i'm repeating myself lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
omg you can't boss me around like that! I HAVE FEELINGS! :cry: i mean, ok. workstation it is then. thank you everyone :sayyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.