Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been asked or if here is the right place. Could someone advise me on a good registry cleaner. I have pulled my hair out trying to find one that works. Most make promises of greatly improved performance. They will run a free scan. But you must purchase it to have it actually do anything to back up it's claims. I don't want to have to buy something only to find out it's claims are only hype!

I trust the opinion and experience of the people here and I would appreciate any shared insight. Thank You!

Dan

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,346 Posts
Registry Cleaners can do more harm than good. Yes, they can clean up debris left by uninstalled programs, but the difference this makes is neglible. If your registry is in such a mess that cleaning it up would improve performance, then you ought to be thinking about formatting your drive and reinstalling Windows.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
A free one is ccleaner, aka crap cleaner. Look it over and see if you want to try it. I've never had a problem with it the few times I've tried it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John and Bruiser!

I have tried CCleaner. It's okay for getting rid of some clutter around the computer.

Perhaps the problem I am experiencing is not the registry being in need of cleaning. I have 512 meg of ram, yet things seem to slower and slower these days. My other thought was to increase the ram. My computer will accommodate another 2 gig of ram. Should this speed things up more so than cleaning and compressing the registry?

Dan

·
Registered
141 Posts
More Ram = Better is you are running more than 1 program at once.

If you run of out physical memory, it will use your hard drive as additional memory(Virtual Memory), thus making your computer slower.

You can go into the task manager (press alt-ctrl-delete), and under the performance tab and check how much the pf usage is. If the graph is above 40-50%, you should uninstall programs or upgrade your ram. (You should run a few programs you use to see how much the yellow line on the graph goes up).

How much does the yellow line go up to?

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
I would strongly suggest getting at least 1 gig of ram for your system. It should solve most of your out of memory messages.

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
oopps I did not realize there was a time limit to editing... Thought I was editing my previous reply.

disregard the memory portion of my previous post. I was thinking of another thread but I still strongly recommend going to 1 gig of ram.

Also go to run - type msconfig then enter and under the startup tab, turnoff/unselect anything you do not use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.