Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, so my 8 year old laptop is refusing to start up. Every time I try, I get a BSOD with the message
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate
I've tried to boot from my installation disk but it won't let me - it goes straight to the BSOD. Any fixes to this at all?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
1,172 Posts
Hi OG, The only thing that comes to my mind is that changing the boot order to allow the computer to boot the CD rom drive first might let you boot from the XP disk. It seems like whats happening is that either your hard drive has gone bad or windows is in such a state that C: can't even load boot.ini. That said changing the boot order should allow the CD to boot and you should be able to go from there. Try powering the computer on and immediately pressing the F2, F8, F12, or Del key which ever key your particular computer uses to enter the bios. If you are able to get into the Bios use the arrow keys to navigate to the boot order and then change it to boot form the CD rom drive first. Make sure you save the settings and turn off the computer. Then place your CD in the drive and hit the power button. Hopefully that will get you to where you need to go to correct the problem with the XP disk. I hope that helps. Let me know if I can help further.

Reguards
Patmark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah. Well, it seemed to be the CD. I tried another copy of Windows XP Pro and it worked fine. Thank you nonetheless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.