Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting so much spam email that is specific to my name, area where I live, etc. and I'm wondering was this information retrieved from the info I gave when I registered my PC a few years ago? My full name, address, etc. is in the email and it's kind of scary at times to think the spam is user specific to my info. I'm wondering, just to be safe, is there a way to get back into the info I have listed when I registered the computer to change it?

Also, just so you know that I do anti-virus daily, updates daily, run every imagineable spyware program both paid for and free versions. Thank you all for any suggestions you can offer on how to change my pc info and where to find it. :1angel:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
That is possable. :rolleyes: Also if you have ever tried to unsubscribe from any of these you can end up getting more because they know that it is a working e-mail.
One fix is to get your Isp to change your e-mail address (WITH OUT FORWORDING) this can be a pain, Open an Hotmail account and use it to register products.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Just be careful who you register with. Spam tends to come from websites that you have entered registration information, or places online where you have posted your email address. Setting up email filters can decrease the amount of spam, but the best thing (which is what I do) is to have a junk account that you can use for registrations and what not, while still keeping your main address free from the majority of the spam. My main email account has been in use for over 2 years and it is still spam free for the most part.

Another alternative is to use a temporary email account like Mailinator. No registration necessary. You use [email protected] and your messages are forwarded to that site for you to read. The messages are removed after an hour or so I think. Just don't choose an address like [email protected] because anyone can read your email, however, it's not suppose to be for confidential emails in the first place. You should check it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.