Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just bought an Asus eee 900 today at Bestbuy (i know they suck, but i just need 1 for taking notes in my class, i won't argue too much about the prices compare to compusa)

Anyway, this 16GB SSD , 1GB ram, with Intel processor 1.6 GHz (i think) computer does NOT have a CD drive. I have been using it for the last 6 hours..Works Okay....normal...but I assume that if I put Linux on it will run faster.It comes with XP home SP3

My question is: Since it doesn't have a CD rom, how should I install Linux (i know maybe from XP or USB) but I want to install Linux then get rid of XP (because the computer's limited space)...

So plz help me with this question thx....
P.S. I want to install Ubuntu..I have an ISO image downloaded already..so how should i do it?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Welcome to TSF....

Does the hard drive have a partition for restoring the windows xp if needed?

Since the computer has no cd-rom drive is there an option for booting from USB in BIOS change boot order?

If the hard drive has no recovery partition how do you intend to go back to Windows xp if the installation of Linux is unsuccessful and also putting Linux in place of Windows XP might void any warranty on the computer?

·
Banned
46 Posts
Welcome to TSF....

Does the hard drive have a partition for restoring the windows xp if needed?

Since the computer has no cd-rom drive is there an option for booting from USB in BIOS change boot order?

If the hard drive has no recovery partition how do you intend to go back to Windows xp if the installation of Linux is unsuccessful and also putting Linux in place of Windows XP might void any warranty on the computer?
I've read some OEM's will void a warranty if Linux is installed on "their" system.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This page may help you. There are instructions for installation with either an external CD drive, or USB stick.

If I were installing Ubuntu, I'd just shrink the Windows partition and keep XP. There should be enough room on your drive for both Windows and Ubuntu if you're only going to use your machine to take notes in class. You could simply install Ubuntu over Windows but someday you might change you mind and wish you still had it. Or, if you decide to sell the machine down the road, having Windows installed would probably make the machine an easier sale.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.