Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm in Windows Explorer, I highlight a video clip. The right hand side of the status bar at the bottom of the screen reports that the clip is 58.4 MB.

I then click the refresh button at the right hand side of the address bar. I again highlight exactly the same video clip as before and the status bar now reports that it is 116 MB. I don't understand it!

I click refresh again, and the same file is reported as being 175 MB. A third click and the size is reported as 233 MB. And so on and so on.

The same thing happens with all my files: jpgs, zips, avis, mpgs, wmvs.

An 899 MB avi is "refreshed" to the new reported size of 1.75 GB, then to 2.63 GB, then to 3.51 GB, and so on. (Increases of 88 MB each time I hit refresh.)

The proportions by which the files are increased are seemingly random - an avi video clip will "increase" by about a third. A photo will increase by about a half. But it varies.

Of course, the size of the files are not REALLY increasing in size. A quick right-click on the file and "Properties" reveals that the video clip is still 899 MB, the jpg is still its "real" number of KB, etc.

So then, does anyone know why pressing my refresh button means that my files are "falsely" being reported by the status bar as significantly increasing in size?

Everything else is working fine, the files in question all respond in exactly the way they ought to.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
Welcome to TSF!

How odd, I've never noticed that. Does it on any folder, not just videos, on both Vista Ultimate x86 and Home Premium x64 for me.

I haven't a clue

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,755 Posts
Hi, shadowcopy has not had time to refresh so the file is added, it is nothing to worry about it is "by design". In other words as you have noticed the file is still in properties the same size, same thing in Seven.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.