Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I reformat my HP PC?
The model is dx5150.

I heard about various methods such as using F10 when in the blue HP screen during startup to reformat it. But it doesn't work for me 'cause I don't have a blue HP screen.

By the way, I don't have a Windows XP CD or any boot disks or such.
Is there anyway to reformat without an XP CD?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Well you need to have some kind of boot disc whether it be a cd or a floppy. You can use DBAN put it on a floppy and wipe the drive that way. And if you plan on using the computer again you need to have an OS disc to do a reinstall otherwise it is useless without an OS.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,162 Posts
If you don't have a utility partition, which normally would show during the boot process, then you'll have to have a disk to do what you are wanting to. I'd make sure you don't see an option in the upper right corner right after you turn on the computer indicating what key to hit to enter setup and utility.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If he doesn't have partion it wouldn't work... Anyway put in your Disc that came with your computer and it should work. *boot to CD

If you lost yours contact HP and they will send you one for free - 5$

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I don't know if I have a "utility partition", but all I know is that my XP wasn't preinstalled, I have to install it with a CD that came with the computer, but too my worst fears I lost the CD :(

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I would wait to format the drive if you have lost the XP disc, otherwise you'll have a newly formatted door stop

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you still have the product key?
If that's the case then you can borrow a friends cd etc. and use your product key at install...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem is, I need that disc I have been talking about so long ever since the beginning of this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.