Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
Ok , i tihnk i can get it going, IF, i were able to boot with the bootdisk, start with CD-Rom support and NOT have MS assign the drives, BECAUSE, MS assigns stuff different then my CD-Rom drivers, which are now staying on after i reboot, yay, MS assigs CDR101 or something, and my drviers assign CD101 or something like that, so how do i do this?

First in the bios it has to be LBA or it's not going to work right.

Does the bios see the CD-Rom Drive?

You have to fdisk and format all over again...;)

Go here and read about fdisk and format.

After this is done boot to the floppy and select start with CD-Rom support...:D

One thing you need to understand is that a CDRom doesn't need a driver. That is what someone already tried to tell you earlier.

Do what they said about trying to see if this CDRom works in another machine before you go out and buy another one. You might be spending money for nothing.

Good luck,

Laffctx

:coffee:

which 1 cdrom or HD?
... Thats points off for a sentence fragment... :) (I heard that from my curse of a English Teacher all through collage..dosnt that just piss you off when someone points out something so stupid.) :)

What is the rest of the question? If you mean format which one then the answers your HD.

But just to see if your cdroms working follow SPEEDO'S advice, put your Win98 startup disk in your A drive, boot the system, choose the option to start with CD-Rom Support, watch the screen to see what/if your cdrom drive is assigned a letter, if it is put in any cdrom disk, change to that drive and run a "Dir" command and see if the CD is being read. If it is then you don't need to replace or remove you CDROM. :)

Discussion starter · #30 ·
1. i know to reformat the HD, im not THAT stupid ;) 2. I posted that i have tried Accessing the CD-Rom form the bootdisk with Boot with CD-Rom support and got that cdr101 error.

LBA for HD only, and I don't think you are stupid. No one was born with a stick of ram in their hand. Set the cdrom to "auto" AS WELL AS THE HD. Please sir before you shoot your computer read carefully my post on the previous page.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Too late, already shot it :p, I already tried em all, i tihnk im outta luck, ill just go buy the 1 for 30 bucks on tigerdirect.com, unless i can find a cheaper 1. Ive had problems with this pc and cd-roms before. I think the cd-rom went wacko liek the other 1.

Welcome back to the boards JAMMAN, I'm sure my copy of Win98SE is not bootable, I just tried it to make sure before I had to put my foot in my mouth and admit I was wrong... but alas - not bootable, it comes with a boot-disk.. maybe its the version or release of the CD I have, or the fact that its the full version and not the upgrade don't know, oh well...

ibelimb, I wasn't trying to say you were stupid if it was me you were talking to, I was just going down the list of things you could do step by step,.. I had know way of knowing your level of computer experience and wanted to make sure you were doing the right things in the right order in an attempt to get things working again. Sorry if I offended you, but its safer to explain things step by step than just assume the person knows what your talking about. :(

But if your getting that error when booting off a boot disk then chances are the CDROM is shot.

Mine came with a boot disk also. I boot right from the cd and it works with mine. Could be we have 2 diff. versions, mine was a very late release. If the kid wasn't sleeping, I'd go in and tell you what ver. it is. I'll post it tomorrow just for research sake.

TheTech, I think the full versions are bootable but the upgrades are not - but I could just have a screw loose tonight.
Vacuum tubes... mine had wooden gears!!!:D

:coffee:

Ok, that could be maybe I have the upgrade version and not the full version then...its possible.. I just know the one I got does not boot, and hopefully isn't defective. :)

I have so many versions of Microsoft OS products its hard to know for sure, I have definitely added to their profit margin having purchased every Dos version from 3.0 to windows 3.0 to Win95 then 98, 98SE, Me , win2000, XP.... If Microsoft sold it I bought it (or got it from a friend) :) (Is that a good thing or a bad thing??):confused:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.