Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformatting problems

4K views 54 replies 6 participants last post by  TheTechIsIn 
Personally I would set the bios to boot to cd, put winme disk in and let it rip. To load your alternate "OS'es", I would suggest buying a program like partition magic. It will run in ME and you will be able to create your Linux partition (and swap partition) AND a partition for XP. I don't have XP but if it is anything like 2000, put it in last. 2000 will configure a "boot commander" of sorts which will give you the option of which OS to load at the boot. How about XP guys- is it as easy with XP?

OK. MOBO is a geek slang for "motherboard" which is not an issue now since you have the settings right.

Now we are on the trail.

In your first bios window set the hdd detection to auto. (no user defined stuff) ALL 4 OF THEM (primary master and slave, secondary master and slave) Then try it. Make sure to read the screen during boot, it will problaby say something like "press any key to boot from CD" for a few seconds then try to access your C drive. So press any key when it asks. Make sure the cd is in the drive before booting. If this STILL doesn't work, you have a bum CD player, a bad cable or a spent channel on your MOBO. Good luck man.

Windows 98SE is not bootable off the CD. FYI
I guess this means I cannot do what I have done 4 times in the last 6 months. I guess I should tell my 5 year old son he can't play dino defender any more because dada loaded win98se directly from the cd. :confused:

LBA for HD only, and I don't think you are stupid. No one was born with a stick of ram in their hand. Set the cdrom to "auto" AS WELL AS THE HD. Please sir before you shoot your computer read carefully my post on the previous page.

Mine came with a boot disk also. I boot right from the cd and it works with mine. Could be we have 2 diff. versions, mine was a very late release. If the kid wasn't sleeping, I'd go in and tell you what ver. it is. I'll post it tomorrow just for research sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.