Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformatting problems

4K views 54 replies 6 participants last post by  TheTechIsIn 
#1 ·
Hi,

I reformatted my hard drive, did fdisk, made the whoel disk primary portition, formatted C:, and installed drivers for CD-Rom. I did this all in 1 proccess, no restarting the pc during any process (except fdisk, had to reboot). After i installed the CD-Rom drivers, i rebooted, and the C: drive isnt readable anymore, i could access it before boot but after i couldnt, so in otherwords, i cant install my OS because i need to reboot for CD-Rom drivers to work, and if i do, C: goes back to unreadable format. What can i do to fix this?

Thanks,
Limb

#9 ·
Personally I would set the bios to boot to cd, put winme disk in and let it rip. To load your alternate "OS'es", I would suggest buying a program like partition magic. It will run in ME and you will be able to create your Linux partition (and swap partition) AND a partition for XP. I don't have XP but if it is anything like 2000, put it in last. 2000 will configure a "boot commander" of sorts which will give you the option of which OS to load at the boot. How about XP guys- is it as easy with XP?

#14 ·
OK. MOBO is a geek slang for "motherboard" which is not an issue now since you have the settings right.

Now we are on the trail.

In your first bios window set the hdd detection to auto. (no user defined stuff) ALL 4 OF THEM (primary master and slave, secondary master and slave) Then try it. Make sure to read the screen during boot, it will problaby say something like "press any key to boot from CD" for a few seconds then try to access your C drive. So press any key when it asks. Make sure the cd is in the drive before booting. If this STILL doesn't work, you have a bum CD player, a bad cable or a spent channel on your MOBO. Good luck man.

G
#15 ·
One thing to try is go here and download a boot disk by going to boot disks in the upper left hand part of the screen!

Then page down to the Win ME boot disk....:winkgrin:

After you make the new disk try booting from it and use start with CD-Rom support when asked...:winking:

BTW what did you use for a boot disk?

#17 ·
Before buying another CD drive, try using that one in another machine to rule out the possibility that its dead. If it is, try to find a friend who might sell you their old one.

#18 ·
Before you go and buy anything... lets rule out this: Is the CD bootable, Windows ME Upgrade and Windows 98SE is not bootable off the CD. FYI :)

The Fdisk report you gave indicates that your drive is no longer formated correctly ie it does not contain a standard Fat16 or Fat32. You will need to reformat the drive.

#23 ·
Ok , i tihnk i can get it going, IF, i were able to boot with the bootdisk, start with CD-Rom support and NOT have MS assign the drives, BECAUSE, MS assigns stuff different then my CD-Rom drivers, which are now staying on after i reboot, yay, MS assigs CDR101 or something, and my drviers assign CD101 or something like that, so how do i do this?

G
#25 ·
First in the bios it has to be LBA or it's not going to work right.

Does the bios see the CD-Rom Drive?

You have to fdisk and format all over again...;)

Go here and read about fdisk and format.

After this is done boot to the floppy and select start with CD-Rom support...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.