Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never again shall i let my brother use my laptop because now i have to fix it. It won't load up completely (it has windows xp at the moment) so i decided to reformat the hard drive. I tried reformatting it but the only thing it will let me do is quick erase instead of doing the long reformat. The option is there it just doesn't ever finish no matter how long i leave it on. So now instead of having windows xp i have changed my OS on all my computers to windows 2000 professional on account of it not having so many errors and in my opinion it is a better os than xp. But when i try to reformat it using this disk it does the same thing. I can quick erase the hard drive but that won't work (i tried that too). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used the dban thing and it completely deleted the hdd like it was supposed to do but i still can't format using the windows xp/windows2000 disk, any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did delete the partition and then reformat it and everything like that with both disks, still doesn't work. I've tried plenty of different ways and i can get as far as new partition and once i try to format it using either NTFS or FAT (unless its a quick format which ends up working but it wont let me re-install windows for some reason that way) it just wont' work. I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 if thats what your asking and i don't recall doing any diagnostics, normally i just let norton do its stuff while i sleep

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Error code:1000-0146
Error code:1000-0333
im assuming those are the problems but i can't manage to get the diagnostics disk to work that i downloaded. I can't use the one from the website you gave me because my service tag was scratched out by my brother and i dont' have any other paperwork telling me what it is. I tried calling dell but they wont' help either

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
may be a dumb question but which one do i install? there were a few options and i dont' have windows 98 is that a problem? is this hard to do at all cuz im kinda dumb when it comes to computers

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
d/l the 98 bootdisk,and then go to where you have saved it on the computer then just send it to a floppy disk
then boot the computer from the floppy and at the A:/ type fdisk and press enter
then look at how many partitions are on the harddrive

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.