Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, little backstory first. I've been having some problems associated with viruses and spyware in my computer for awhile. So I installed new virus protection/spyware protection. Cleared all the spyware, but I couldn't get the viruses I needed to out so I just said screw it and decided to reformat the hard drive and start again. I got a copy of XP Pro from my instructor at tech school earlier today and I was pretty happy when I got home. Looked on the internet for an easy way to do this. Printed it out, still content.
So I reset the boot order so that my CD Rom would boot first so that the Setup cd would work, and then it went through the usual stuff. I press enter, accept the agreement. Still happy as a clam. I then delete the old partition and press C to create a new one at the maximum MB. It gets to 100% and then it decides to be a bad child and say that it could not create it because my hard disk/drive (I forgot which it said) could be damaged or unplugged or other assorted things of bad nature.
So now I'm not happy as clam. I tried it again and again. Everything from restarting the computer to praying to Jesus, and nothing has worked. My computer has declared war on me, and we shall not let it win!

So if you didn't want to read the little backstory here's the question. How do I fix my hard drive/disk or change whatever I need to to get my computer to install XP Pro and so I can once again be happy as clam. And not emo. Thanks in advance, just do what you can. I'm at the end of my rope here and this seems to be a great forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No no no, for some reason I can go to msdn.com and get a serial number for a copy of Vista or XP or whatever because I'm a tech student. Don't ask me for specifics about this cause I really do not know why I can. I just know it's all legit.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
There are in some instances where students can get software at a cheaper price, well because they are students.
Now my question is, did your system not come with any software? Do you have a windows license sticker on the side of the computer to use?
What version of XP was installed on it before you wiped it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My system came with XP Home Edition SP2, but the CD is scratched all to hell for some reason and is unusable so I just decided to switch to Pro because I could get a copy from my teacher.

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Go to the website of your drive manufacturer and download their diagnostic software (it's free - download to desktop and then put on to a floppy) put the floppy in the drive and then start your computer, then run the diagnostic program.

Use this if you don't know which drive you have:-

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,23043-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

If your drive checks out ok, use the facility that allows you to zero the drive - which is as near as you can get to 'wiping your drive clean'.

Installing windows is covered here:-

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

It sounds as if you have an academic issue of windows - you will need your XP home product key, and a key for XP Pro. Either you or your educational establishment will be paying for the License – as they say in the North of England: “you don’t get owt for nowt!”

·
UK
1,142 Posts
The product key is the long string of numbers/letters that comes with the software, i.e. each individual issue of XP - you will need to enter it when installing. If you follow Michael Stevens guide, you should be up and running soon, assuming your hardware is ok that is.

Make sure the cable is well home on your drive and run the diagnostic software - presumably you haven't changed any of the hardware? If you have added or removed a drive (HDD or optical) you may need to change the jumpers on the drives. After zeroing the drive, you might find the problem clears. If the drive tests as faulty, then unfortunately, it probably means a new drive is required. Check out any warranty that may exist on the drive - some drives come with a 3 or even a 5 year warranty, although if it came as part of a retail system, a year is more likely. But if it tests as faulty, email all the details to customer services/tech dept, and see what they say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.