Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reformatted the HD of my Dell 8300 Windows XP computer. Everything seemed to go well but I could not get on the internet even though my modem was connected to the computer and was working correctly. I believe that I entered the drivers in the incorrect order. Is there any way to fix this problem short of reformatting the HD again? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
40,892 Posts
When your Format or Re-Format, you Erase. It sounds like after that, you Reinstalled Windows, but you didn't say that.
Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. In the Device Manager, are there any devices with a Yellow Flag next to them, especially under Network Adapters?
If so, these devices need drivers installed. In your OP you list Dell 8300. There are 2 types of Dells with that number. A Dell Dimension 8300 desktop, and an Dell XPS 8300.
I will assume you mean the Dimension. Go to the Dell support Download drivers site for your model. Support for Dimension 8300 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US Type in your Service Tag # or use this link. Scroll to the bottom of the list and click Show All Drivers. Download the Chipset driver install this first and then Reboot. Then download the Broadcom Ethernet Driver and any other drivers you need from the Device Manager. If you can't get online with this computer, go to this web site on an internet computer and save the drivers to a USB Flash Drive and install them on the troubled computer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cannot find the chipset driver since Dell no longer covers Windows XP. I do not know if this driver is on the Installation disc i got with my computer in 2004. If I have to reformat the HD again, which drivers do I have to install first? I would not like to do this again because the operation takes many hours. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The installation CD says it does not contain drivers and none of the other discs. One disc lists device drivers while another listsmultimedia software, support software and internet software.

·
Registered
40,892 Posts
As stated, please answer the questions in Post # 3
Is this a Dell Dimension 8300? or a Dell XPS 8300? There are drivers for XP on the Dell site for Dimension 8300 if you click the link in that post. Re-Formatting your computers HDD again and reinstalling XP from the disc will not help if you don't have all of the drivers. If you can't find the disc, you can download them from the Dell Web Site
If this is a Dell XPS 8300 the drivers are listed here Support for XPS 8300 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US The drivers are for Windows 7 but can be installed in Compatibility Mode.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The computer is indeed a Dell Dimension 8300. I have kept all the discs received when I purchased the computer in 2003. I went to the Dell website and searched for the Chipset Driver and the Broadcom Ethernet Driver. Dell indicated that they no longer support Windows XP and do not have the requested drivers. The discs supplied with the computer are Operating System Reinstallation CD. Drivers and Utilities CD (contains Device Drivers, Diagnostics and Utilities, Computer Documentation), Application CD (Antivirus software, support software,Multimedia Software, Internet Software), Application CD (Sonic MyDVD), Application CD (Cyberlink Power DVD)Applicatin CD (Sonic Primetime Software), Sound Blaster CD. According to Dell those CDs should get the computer back to its new state. Should I try to install from the Windows 7 driver list? How do I go to compatibility mode? I look forward to you next input.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I apologize but I left out probably the most important Drivers and Utilities disc, It contains Drivers, Diagnostics and Utilities, Online documentation and Modem on Hold. By the way the computer now freezes after turn-on.

·
Registered
40,892 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't figure out why I can't get on the internet. I used the link in your last post and then loaded the drivers shown (6 applications, 3 audio and 1 BIOS) There were 11 Modem/comm, 1 chipset, 9 network, 1 patches/fixes, 18 Removable storage, 3 Serial ATA and 15 video in the full set. I dragged the first 10 onto my thumb drive and installed hem on the Dell. I still could not get on the internet. I don't know what is wrong. Please advise. Thank you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To OSCER1: the computer is a Dimension 8300 which was purchased new in 2003/04. I came with a Reinstallation disc (brown) and 6 application discs. There were several other discs with programs on them. The Device Manager list was clean.

·
323 Posts
Out of all of these modem drivers listed for your unit what do you see when you expand the device manager under network/modem drivers?

As an example of how to check that here is mine - XP isn't that dissimilar to windows 10 with the device manager

·
Registered
40,892 Posts
The Modem Drivers shown on the pic in post #16 are Dial-UP Modem drivers.
For Broadband Internet, you would download the Ethernet network adapter driver on the Dell page that has been linked several times. To know the exact one you need, type in your Service Tag# in the Dell search bar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I reformatted the HD of my Dell 8300 Windows XP computer. Everything seemed to go well but I could not get on the internet even though my modem was connected to the computer and was working correctly. I believe that I entered the drivers in the incorrect order. Is there any way to fix this problem short of reformatting the HD again? Thanks for your help.
Dell online has all the drivers for your Dimension running XP
If you don’t see the driver listed, make sure you select “view all” drivers
The network card you have is a Broadcom Gigabit
There are two drivers, one is a diagnostic only. You don’t need that one
When all else fails, take a USB key and download all the drivers you need to it from another PC.
If you don’t mind, what is the service tag on your pc?

·
Moderator Hardware Team
13,296 Posts
To OSCER1: the computer is a Dimension 8300 which was purchased new in 2003/04. I came with a Reinstallation disc (brown) and 6 application discs. There were several other discs with programs on them. The Device Manager list was clean.
i take it by your last sentence that their is no yellow marks in device manager is that correct? have you set up a network connection link in post 2

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have downloaded the ethernet network
i take it by your last sentence that their is no yellow marks in device manager is that correct? have you set up a network connection link in post 2
The Modem Drivers shown on the pic in post #16 are Dial-UP Modem drivers.
For Broadband Internet, you would download the Ethernet network adapter driver on the Dell page that has been linked several times. To know the exact one you need, type in your Service Tag# in the Dell search bar.
I keep getting a message that says my computer doesn't see the modem. I have the modem CD but I need Adobe Reader to download it. I put Adobe Reader on a thumb drive and used it to download the modem, This did not work since the download works for Windows 95 to Windows 2000. I specifically entered Windows XP into the download. These errors are driving me nuts. Another small problem arose; I cannot change the brightness on my Windows 10 computer. Makes me sorry that I reformatted the XP computer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts