Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facts:

I have a client who requires 100% uptime on his Internet and Email access.
The Client is currently using high speed cable which at times is not available.
The client has a linksys router.
Money is not an issue.

Questions:

How can I connect more than one internet connection to the router?
I need to be able to use Remote Server Management Software.

I have an idea how this can be done but I would like to hear from others.

Thanks

Rob

·
hey
10,189 Posts
I wish I was knowledgable enough on doing that to help you. But I was wondering if you would care to share with us on how you did it.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
This sounds like a job for...

freaking NASA. Good luck, and I hope to god my company never comes to me with this type of problem. Uptime @ 100% (never gonna happen)

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a device on the market called Aries made by www.celestix.com. It is a tiny Linux based server, which is administered Via web browser. This box can due a number of tasks to include: Internet gateways, mail server, file storage and double internet connection redundancy. This is accomplished through use of both a NIC and a dial-up modem. The modem is designed to kick on if the NIC connection should ever go down. Since the box can hold 2 IP addresses the workstations would never know the difference if the Cable modem ever dropped off. The best thing is the unit will only run you about $300.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I ended up with.

I set up an old Pentium 366 with Proxy Server.
I have ADSL and Shaw High Speed connected to two NIC’s and I have one Nic connecting to my DHCP Router.

The beauty of it is; my bandwidth is substantially higher because I am using both services simultaneously. The bandwidth decreases when one of the services is dropped but I never lose the Access. It is possible that both services could be down at the exact same time, but highly unlikely.

Works like a charm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In response to "TheTechIsIn", there is this thing called redundancy. It is very important in the IT sector. There is such thing as 99.999% uptime. That is what we have to strive for. Just remember, if there is a will, there is a way.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I just saw this post has been replyed to I guess I just missed it or I would have defended myself earlier :)

1) I am aware of the term "redundancy", but thank you for re-inforcing it for me.

2) And this is my fault, I completly misunderstood your post , that being what you were trying to do. Looking back you did say money was not a problem, I thought you wanted to do it with what you had and not purchase anything new,.. oops.

But it's good you got it figured out and setup in any event.

:cool: TheTech Say: If you dont have the answer, change the subject as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you don't believe in redundancy, give the department of redundancy department a call. They will re-enforce your beliefs all over again. Now I'm going to shut up and stop talking.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm not sure if this would be of any use, but there is atleast one router that I know of that allows for more than one internet conection (RJ45 though) , if you subscribed to 2 different providers, the chances that they'd both be down ( provided they don't use the same lines..... a phone line outtage and using 2 DSL services) would be incredibly slim... your way works just as efficient except routers just have NO loss in bandwidth, that your box could bring... plus what if the box goes down?

·
Registered
852 Posts
There is always starband sattelite. Someone could cut phone and electric lines, and if you had proper UPS, your internet still works as you stumble through the dark halls to find your computer.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Very funny JAMMAN.... BTW I like the new Logo.. I was jealous of the first one, but not I'm really jealous.....GRRRRR...;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Touchet

To: TheTechIsIn,

you said;

"2) And this is my fault, I completly misunderstood your post"

I say;

Thats Ok, cause i'm fault tollerant

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi there! bout your question on how to share internet access using the linksys router. of course you need to connect the router's WAN port on your modem and you can use the LAN port/s in connecting your pc or your hubs or switches. if you want to have an always on connection,you can configure the router's setup page and enable the keep alive option box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may want to check out a company called Astrocom at www.astrocorp.com. They make network appliances that let you connect to multiple ISPs and automatically failover if one ISP goes down.

There are alternatives like FatPipe, but Astrocom is priced lower and doesn't use BGP, which is horribly complex.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Tomcat66, this thread is five years old! Please check the dates before responding, I doubt this problem still exists.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.