Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am a real Linux newbie and I really hope someone can help.
I have a computer which I dual boot with WinXP and Redhat 7.3

A friend originally set it up for me but it was time to reinstall everything as windows was clogged up.

I got WinXP set up just fine but when I start Linux, I get the following error: a command line login flashes repeatedly and then dies saying "INIT: ld "x" respawing too fast, disabling for 5 minutes"

I gather that this means that something is wrong with the login script, and that one of the processes it tries to run keeps dying. I changed the runlevel in inittab to 3 and that works fine; I can login on the command line prompt so obviously something is wrong with X Windows. But what? How can I diagnose what's wrong?

My only guess I have is that I have a new Geforce FX graphics card which isn't supported (I chose a Geforce2 on the installation). I have the drivers for it from nvidia but I don't know what to do with them.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have now installed the NVIDIA drivers and it seemed to be successful so I don't think it was that.

One odd thing though was that the instructions said I should edit my XFree86 config file to make it use my new driver and told me that I would find the location of that file in /var/lib/xFree86.0.log where I should look for a line saying
"(==) using config file"

When I looked at this file it was a binary file. I did find my XFR86Config-4 ( in /etc/X11/) and set it up as they said but that file not being text might suggest that something is wrong with my build. I dunno.

Cheers
Ross

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im not 100% sure if this is your problem, since I myself am a n00b :)... I have an ATI Radeon 7500 with svideo out... perhaps your svideo out cable is plugged in, screwing things up. Just an idea.

Ill help ya figure it out tho, as much as i can... email [email protected]

·
Registered
711 Posts
You can't be much of a n00b if you fingered it to be a run level problem which you did, good job! Now that the drivers are installed, you'll need to edit your X11 config file to run the new driver upon initialization. I don't think the vanilla X driver support the newer FX cards.

At any rate locate your XF86Config-4 file and look for a line that says "driver" under the video card section, it probably says "nv" right now, you'll want to change that to "nvidia" instead which will then initialize that driver upon X startup. I hope this helps, if not please post back and I'll see what else i can dig up :)

Cheers!
Drew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still no joy

Actually I pieced that much together from other advice to people with similar problems (a google search). It's good though, I am learning lots about Linux as I go.

I did edit my XFR86Config-4 file and changed the driver but still no joy. I tried running ldconfig after that and the error has changed slightly - now the screen doesn't flash but just dumps me straight to a command line login. Later it talks about things respawning too fast.

Cheers
Ross

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.