Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am a real Linux newbie and I really hope someone can help.
I have a computer which I dual boot with WinXP and Redhat 7.3

A friend originally set it up for me but it was time to reinstall everything as windows was clogged up.

I got WinXP set up just fine but when I start Linux, I get the following error: a command line login flashes repeatedly and then dies saying "INIT: ld "x" respawing too fast, disabling for 5 minutes"

I gather that this means that something is wrong with the login script, and that one of the processes it tries to run keeps dying. I changed the runlevel in inittab to 3 and that works fine; I can login on the command line prompt so obviously something is wrong with X Windows. But what? How can I diagnose what's wrong?

My only guess I have is that I have a new Geforce FX graphics card which isn't supported (I chose a Geforce2 on the installation). I have the drivers for it from nvidia but I don't know what to do with them.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have now installed the NVIDIA drivers and it seemed to be successful so I don't think it was that.

One odd thing though was that the instructions said I should edit my XFree86 config file to make it use my new driver and told me that I would find the location of that file in /var/lib/xFree86.0.log where I should look for a line saying
"(==) using config file"

When I looked at this file it was a binary file. I did find my XFR86Config-4 ( in /etc/X11/) and set it up as they said but that file not being text might suggest that something is wrong with my build. I dunno.

Cheers
Ross

·
Registered
711 Posts
You can't be much of a n00b if you fingered it to be a run level problem which you did, good job! Now that the drivers are installed, you'll need to edit your X11 config file to run the new driver upon initialization. I don't think the vanilla X driver support the newer FX cards.

At any rate locate your XF86Config-4 file and look for a line that says "driver" under the video card section, it probably says "nv" right now, you'll want to change that to "nvidia" instead which will then initialize that driver upon X startup. I hope this helps, if not please post back and I'll see what else i can dig up :)

Cheers!
Drew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still no joy

Actually I pieced that much together from other advice to people with similar problems (a google search). It's good though, I am learning lots about Linux as I go.

I did edit my XFR86Config-4 file and changed the driver but still no joy. I tried running ldconfig after that and the error has changed slightly - now the screen doesn't flash but just dumps me straight to a command line login. Later it talks about things respawning too fast.

Cheers
Ross

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.